Himachal Pradesh chief minister Jai Ram Thakur said that the state government is coming up with a policy to allow controlled cultivation of hemp or cannabis in the state.
Yes’ these are the exact words delivered by HP CM Thakur during the state budget last week. After Uttarakhand now Himachal is also trying to follow the same path of hemp cultivation under some important and controlled guidelines. While saying controlled cultivation it means they will set a parameter in cannabis farming like Uttarakhand has done. According to Uttarakhand hemp policy farmer can grow a fix hemp
- Under the NDPS Act, 1985 there are provisions for hemp cultivation, hemp production maintenance and transportation of the cannabis
- However, hemp can be produced all over India moreover the quality of cannabis is much higher in hill area due to the suitable atmosphere and appropriate climate for the natural growing weed.
When India banned hemp cultivation
- India banned the cultivation of cannabis in 1985 as per (NDPS) Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act. Later NDPS Act allowed Uttarakhand to legalize hemp cultivation in a controlled manner and Uttarakhand became first state to begin cannabis cultivation in India.
Why is Himachal legalizing hemp cultivation
- Due to unemployment and limited resources in the state during the pandemic, the speed of manufacturing and transportation is already dead and the tourism states are in deep trouble. As per the stats this decision might create 50,000 jobs in the state which may benefits around 2.7 lakh families.
Hemp legalized states in India
- Recently Himachal Pradesh is allowed to start cannabis cultivation in a controlled manner for medicinal purpose. Before Himachal one more BJP government state Madhya Pradesh has joined the race of cannabis cultivation but Uttarakhand holds first position for cannabis cultivation in India.
- However, the government has made it clear that the farmers are only allowed to sell their produce to the government not to private buyers.
- Cannabis can be used to make papers
- Paper towel
- Medicinal use
- Cosmetic uses
- CBD Oil
1 acre hemp can produce same papers that are produced by 4 acre trees. This will save plenty of trees and it will create a revolutionary change in the environment, no or less tree cutting will directly help our environment.
What is CBD
Government can grab the opportunity of CBD oil that has huge demand over national and international market. If you are not aware of the term cbd let me make it clear for you it is a type of oil extracted from cannabis or marijuana. CBD is mainly used for medicinal purpose and it works as pain relief however it contains much more beneficial properties. It is also used to cure various disorders and disease
THC and CBD are two main components of marijuana plant. THC full form tetrahydrocannabinol and full form of CBD is cannabidiol. You must hear about THC level and it can be controlled as Uttarakhand government has done while permitting cannabis cultivation in Uttarakhand the government permitted cannabis farming with low THC level, (THC) content of 0.3 to 1.5 percent.
Cannabis cultivation benefits
In my few previous posts I have explained about how cannabis cultivation along with few more crops can be used as a weapon against hill migration. Apart from cannabis there are few more crops that can support next level farming in hill regions like Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
I am talking about these crops – Hemp cultivation, stinging nettle cultivation, mushroom cultivation, kafal fruit cultivation, lingad farming or linguda cultivation these are few crops and weed that are easily available in hill region moreover these crops does not demand for high investment and care(except mushroom) infect they are un recognized crops as per their capability or we can say these are unsung heroes of agriculture.