To make hemp tissue paper cellulose fibre is turned into a pulp after removing unwanted lignin, the pulp is then flattened and dried into a thin sheet of tissue that can be turned into multiple hemp toilet paper rolls.
Hemp in 1 Acre = Trees in 4 Acre provides an equal amount of paper so use hemp and save trees.
I have already explained in my previous post how we can convert barren or wasteland into fertile land by growing hemp on that land. In this post, we will experience the importance of hemp tissue paper, and hemp toilet paper, and also look at how to make hemp paper.
Hemp Tissue Paper
I would like to raise my voice in favour of “hemp for the paper” which is very necessary from my point of view because I am a person who loves the environment, and its paper is eco-friendly.
Uttarakhand was the first state to legalize hemp cultivation in India in 2017 followed by Uttar Pradesh. The license application procedure is not up to the mark and doesn’t have any good road map resulting in fewer farmers doing its cultivation.
Tissue Paper plays a vital role in our lives, and hemp tissue paper is becoming popular among environmentally friendly and health-conscious people. In Western countries, it is a precious thing and it has made a reach to Asian countries as well; if we talk about India it is becoming a part of a lifestyle especially, for the people who are living in metro cities. Now people are more health-conscious, so the demand for this weed tissue paper is increasing day by day.
- This is a popular paper and is commonly used worldwide in the form of rolling papers, canvases, hemp paper towels, and archival paper as well.
- Hemp is an extremely versatile and fast-growing plant and can be used to make clothing, textiles, plastics, paints, biofuel, food, and paper as well. The hemp plant can contain up to 85 % cellulose while trees generally only contain up to 30 % cellulose this makes it an ideal choice for turning into paper.
- This paper can also be used for personal products such as toilet paper and sanitary pads. Unlike plastics, the decomposing of hemp is natural and therefore makes this product highly sustainable and eco-friendly.
- Most hemp papers are acid-free and are therefore long-lasting. Now they are gaining popularity for archival papers as well.
Hemp paper making
Hemp tissue paper making process
The cellulose fibers are processed to a particular pulp. The pulp is then formed into a thin shade tissue paper product, of randomly oriented short fibers.
Hemp toilet paper making process
Cellulose fibre is turned into a pulp after removing unwanted lignin, the pulp is then flattened and dried into a thin sheet of tissue that can be turned into multiple toilet paper rolls.
Trees and bamboo go through the same process but require extensive chemical processing. Tissue paper production is possible with little to no chemical processing.
Toilet paper is a highly and commonly used product in the entire world. It becomes essential to make the switch to a more sustainable option like hemp toilet paper. They are more sustainable in all aspects, from growing-composing to decomposing.
Hemp paper making process
It involves breaking down fibers into a pulp that can then be laid out and moulded into a screen paper-making frame and dried.
The cellulose fibers are derived mainly from the plant’s cannabis, Cannabis Sativa, or cannabis Sativa Indica, however, also may be derived from the plants Musa or Abaca Textiles plant family which is also known as manila. The cellulose fibres are processed to a particular pulp. The pulp is then formed into a thin shad tissue paper product, of randomly oriented short fibres.
- Hemp papers can be produced from long bast fibers and short hurds or pulp of plants.
- Paper produced from the bast fibers is thin tough and rough, it is also brittle.
- Paper produced from hemp hurd is easier to make, it is softer and thicker and better raw material than wood pulp.
Hurds are a low-value by-product of industrial hemp processing that is generally used for animal bed litter. Tissue paper was fabricated from hurd fibers by following three pulping processes: autohydrolysis (hydrothermal, sodium carbonate based defibration, and high yield craft pulping and benchmark against hardwood pulp to meet industrial standards. Hardwood and pulp fibres were mixed at a dry mass ratio of 75:25, from which tissue paper sheets were prepared.
Hemp paper benefits
|1. Hemp produces more yield and grows faster than trees.
|2. It can be recycled more than tree paper.
|3. Requires minimal to no chemical processing.
|4. Makes high-quality books and archival papers.
|5. Produce eco-friendly tea bags.
|6. Makes the perfect art canvas.
|7. Lasts longer than tree paper.
|8. Its paper can be recycled more than tree paper.
|9. Helps stop deforestation and save the planet.
|10. Produces biodegradable plastic it is toxin free, long-term, and eco-friendly.
Hemp Tissue Paper Business Overview
- Hemp Cultivation: You can start its cultivation, or you can purchase hemp crops from farmers. If you have enough land, you can also hire people for farming, which is not difficult. You only need some labour while harvesting. If you don’t have much land for agriculture, you can start contract farming by approaching village farmers.
- Hemp cultivation is legalized in Uttarakhand, so you can start it immediately after receiving a license.
- Tissue paper-making machine: You can purchase a device which will cost approx Rs 5 lakh, little space needed labour required 3, 1 skilled and two nonskilled.
- You can sell tissue paper to hotels, restaurants, call centres, cinema halls, and malls, and you can also sell them online on Amazon, Flipkart, Shopify, etc.
Hemp Products – Tissue paper, Toilet paper, kitchen towels, paper rolls, facial tissue, napkins, handbags, sanitary pads, etc.
Note– Machine will be for specific items; for example, if you want to make toilet rolls, you need a toilet roll machine and if you’re going to make facial tissue or napkins, you need to buy the different machines you can’t make all of them in a single device. For the complete setup of this business, you need approx. Rs 8 lakh.
Hill migration problem solver
Uttarakhand has seen mass migration, and most of the villagers are either uninhabited or full of older men, women, and children as male members have moved to the city in search of jobs. Though these families have small farms, they don’t do farming as animals destroy their crops. 75% of Uttarakhand farmers have left farming.
This problem can be changed into an opportunity if all these people will accept hemp cultivation. If its cultivation is promoted on a large scale, it can stop the migration problem and contribute a lot to the environment and the nation’s GDP.
Legally one can obtain a license to grow industrial hemp containing THC, no more than 0.3 percent.
Read more on cannabis farming
One can recycle hemp 8 times more than regular paper which can only be recycled about 3 times. Hence, it has already been proved that too many trees were consumed for making paper, which is time-consuming and not environmentally friendly. Trees usually take 10 to 15 years to grow to deliver the form, and hemp only takes four months to develop and provide the results.
Top 10 Companies of Hemp in the world
Even after good research, there is no verified data that shows the correct numbering order of these companies, so I can share them but not ranking-wise.
- Rawganique – As the name shows the company is committed to manufacturing chemical-free products. This company originated in Europe but now operates in Canada and the U.S.A
- Quintessential Tips Limited – This U.K.-based company specializes in producing cigarette paper from hemp.
- Greenfield paper – Produces journals and sketch boxes. Located in San Diego, California.
- Tree-free hemp paper Company – Produces everything from business cards to brochures.
- Hammond paper – Leading supplier of packaging materials manufactured from hemp paper.
- Hussain Papers – Producer and supplier of handmade papers for calligraphy and painting and situated in Rajasthan.
- Hemp. press – Produces hemp base packaging paper (U.S.A).
- Eco Industries – Produces hand-made paper for painting and crafts, situated in Gujarat, India.
Why don’t we use hemp paper?
Which can produce more paper from 1 acre of land, hemp or tree?
What are the types of hemp paper?
Top 7 benefits of hemp toilet paper
It is strong durable and absorbent.
Hemp toilet paper is antibacterial.
It is renewable.
It is biodegradable.
High in cellulose (cellulose- a major component of paper making).
It can reduce deforestation.