I want to make 2 points very clear to our readers who want to start hemp farming in India but bit confused. They should know that this cultivation is yet not legal in every state of India. You have to check the permit in your state. More importantly one can start the cultivation under government guidelines only and they have to grow hemp with less than 0.3% THC content.
Hemp cultivation in Uttarakhand
Slowly but steadily hemp cultivation in India is becoming popular and farmers are getting aware of cultivation practices. Some organisations like IIH are also promoting cultivation help. However, hemp cultivation in Uttarakhand is already approved by the Uttarakhand government and Central Government under some guidelines. Still, Uttarakhand farmers are not growing this medicinal plant on a large scale instead they are growing potatoes commercially which is not bad but once having other farming opportunities people should try at least in some portion of their land.
Lack of awareness, less knowledge, don’t know how to get a hemp growing licence in India and no knowledge about its cultivation profitability are some of the reasons why Uttarakhand farmers are not cultivating this precious plant commercially in Uttarakhand. Believe it or not, if Uttarakhand people will start commercial cultivation in their villages then don’t need to go to Delhi in search of jobs instead they can set up their own farming businesses.
Hemp cultivation in Uttarakhand has a huge potential because top-quality hemp grows naturally in hilly areas due to suitable climate conditions. Moreover, hemp can grow in barren lands as well and improves soil fertility for the next crop. Apart from Uttarakhand hemp farming in UP and in Himachal Pradesh is also approved by the government.
Hemp cultivation in India
Hemp is a naturally growing weed which does not need more care and water. People should follow the government guidelines for growing hemp with a minimum of 0.3 THC content and they have to inform the government while harvesting. It is a fast-growing weed which gets ready for harvesting after 120 days only by reaching 10 to 12 feet in height. It does not need any specific fertilizer or pesticides instead it works as a fertilizer. Providing cow dung and urine to these plants can result in a healthy and faster growth rate of.
Cannabis improves the soil quality naturally, it improves the land fertility and makes more fertile land for the next crop. Hemp is one of the crops which can be grown in barren lands and is capable of converting barren land into fertile land. People can simply grow this super weed in their barren lands that are not used by them for any crops.
Hemp farming profit in 1 acre is huge due to their uses in various important industries. Leaves, stems and seeds are very precious for making various materials. Each and every part of the hemp plant is equally important and widely used in various sectors such as the medical industry, paper etc.
- Hemp tissue paper.
- School bag.
- Building materials.
- Fibre ropes.
- Fabric shirts, t-shirts.
- Jars, jugs.
- Cosmetic sector.
- Plastic replacement.
- Hemp toilet paper.
How to get a hemp growing licence India
To get a licence to grow hemp in Uttarakhand and some other states where it is permitted one can follow the below-given steps.
- Land should be in your name.
- Attach khasra sankhya with the application form as land ownership proof.
- Land description and exact location explanation with an application (handwritten) are required in the magistrate’s office.
- Submit the proof of contract with the commercial unit if have any.
- Must have a storage store, submit the proof of storage.
- Do not apply 2 times for the same application to avoid rejection.
- Submit an application to the district magistrate of your district.
- District Magistrate will take the final decision to approve or disapprove your business proposal.
- You must grow hemp under state government guidelines for THC content.
- You are not allowed to sell hemp on your own, instead, you can sell it to state government-authorized buyers only.
- You are not allowed to harvest it without informing the government.
- Must process the selling through government channels.
- Hemp license application form PDF.
Who can apply for a hemp licence
- First priority for village people.
- People with no bailable and criminal activity.
- No criminal or bailable case is pending in the court.
- Commercial and medicinal institutes can apply if owns the land.
- People must have land on their names to apply for hemp application.
Hemp project report
- Hemp seed cost per acre = Rs 20,000
- Irrigation cost = Rs 5000
- Labour cost = Rs 5000
- Land preparation cost = Rs 2500
- Plant protection charges = Rs 3000
- Fertilizer cost = Rs 2500
- Total cost = Rs 38000
Hemp profit per acre = After deducting the cost one can earn Rs 2 lakh to Rs 2.5 lakh from 1-acre land.
Do you need a licence to grow hemp?
Yes, the licence is necessary for growing this weed in Uttarakhand and other states of India.
How many plants per acre should I plant?
700 to 1000 hemp plants per acre are considered.
What is the average hemp cost per acre?
Rs 38,000 to Rs 42,000 is required per acre.
How much seed do I need per acre?
11 kg to 18 kg hemp seed rate per acre for grain and 18 kg to 36 kg seed rate per acre are required for hemp fibre.
How to get a hemp growing licence in India?
Submit the hemp application form to the DM office along with land papers. Remember, land should be in your name.