Hello, gardeners do you know soil also breathes and cocopeat makes the soil breathe comfortably? Cocopeat use in agriculture is very useful to maintain soil health. The use of this substance can make a huge difference in plant health if used in the right proportion. Why cocopeat is necessary for plants is explained here in simple language.
What is cocopeat
Cocopeat is a supplement that provides the best suitable conditions for plants to grow healthy. It has antifungal properties and one of the best benefits of using cocopeat is; that it has soil disease resistance capacity. Technically the cocopeat is a substance that creates an air pocket in the soil resulting in a good drainage system.
Read this – 9 Best plant identifier apps download free
The point to remember is cocopeat does not have nutritional value instead it helps to keep moisture in the soil and provides good drainage. People have to add some other supplements to provide nutritional value to their plants.
Expand the cocopeat in the water and mix it into the soil then use it for the plants growing in the garden directly in the ground. Coco peat decomposes slowly and adds the value of mulch.
Cocopeat uses in agriculture
Cocopeat use in agriculture is very useful but not many people are aware of it. Picking the correct soil is necessary to provide good growth to the garden plants. However, there are various types of soil testers available in the market that help you to pick good soil. More importantly before using a soil tester one should know about the good soil-bearing capacity and the characteristics of good soil structure.
In case you missed – How to grow madhumalti plant healthy
2 important characteristics of good soil are the ability to hold moisture for a long time and to provide a proper drainage system to the soil for better plant growth. Coco peat is a soil supplement that has the ability to maintain the moisture level in the soil for a long time and provide a good drainage system to the soil.
It helps to improve the moisture-holding capability of the soil therefore no need to give water frequently to the plants. You can use this supplement for both indoor and outdoor plants. As I said it maintains the moisture level in soil therefore adding cocopeat is a solution to regular watering and saves water in summer as well.
Don’t miss – How to use perlite for plants
How to use Coco Peat for small plants
Cocopeat is mixed with mud in the needed ratio.
- Take a couple of cocopeat bricks.
- Place these bricks in a small container, tub or bucket.
- Now slowly add water and make sure the bricks get completely wet, allowing them to expand.
- It will take nearly 6 to 10 minutes to absorb water and after absorbing water it will loosen up.
- Now break the coco peat material from the bricks.
- Take the needed amount of it for preparing the soil.
- While preparing the soil for a medium planter of 6 to 8 inches tall on average 2 to 4 handfuls of cocopeat are required for your soil mix.
- Now mix regular outdoor soil with this prepared cocopeat.
- You can use this proportion for both outdoor and indoor plants without any hesitation.
Recommended – How to grow coconut tree from coconut in pot
How to use coco peat for growing plants?
First, loosen the topsoil of an already growing plant.
Loosen the soil up to 1 or 2 inches deeper.
Now mix two handfuls of loose cocopeat into the plant soil.
Coco peat use is important
Cocopeat is also known as coir. It is an organic supplement for soil and is made up of coconut outer shell fibre. It is essential for compressed coir dust and has been used aggressively since 1980 in horticulture. It is mainly used for its two most important properties; antifungal properties and water-holding ability. These two properties have made this brick-resembling supplement very popular among gardeners. It’s already proven that cocopeat is an excellent growing medium for plants.
How to use cocopeat bricks for plants?
1. First, you need a couple of cocopeat bricks.
2. Then put these bricks into a container or bucket.
3. Give water to these bricks of cocopeat until they expand.
4. Wait for 6 to 10 minutes and let them absorb water.
5. These bricks will start loosening up after absorbing sufficient water.
6. Now your cocopeat is ready for mixing with outdoor soil.
7. After mixing 2 to 4 handfuls of cocopeat with outdoor soil mix you can use this mix for your plants.
What are the benefits of coco peat to the soil?
Mixing cocopeat into the soil helps to improve the moisture-holding capability of the soil and also helps to maintain a good drainage system.
Why cocopeat is important in agriculture?
1. Coco peat is essential for the healthy root
development of plants.
2. This object is helpful for good drainage and keeping soil moisture.
What are the drawbacks of cocopeat?
1. Coco peat doesn’t contain any nutritional value.
2. You have to use some other supplement to provide nutrition to the plants.
Is Coco peat necessary for plants?
Yes, cocopeat is very important for plants as they maintain the moisture level, provide good drainage and are helpful for building air pockets in the soil. Thus they are important for the healthy root development of the plant. Antifungal properties make cocopeat disease resistant.
Can we use cocopeat for indoor as well as outdoor plants?
Yes, coco peats are useful for both indoor and outdoor types of plants.
You can share this informative blog post with your family and friends.
6 imp vegetables to eat in rainy season