Pollination is an important and vital topic in terms of plants, today I will help you to understand the concept of pollination and we will also look at the first pollinator park in India
- 1 What is pollination
- 2 Types of Pollination
- 3 Pollinator park in Uttarakhand
- 4 Features of the pollinator park Uttarakhand
- 5 Pollinator park in haldwani address
What is pollination
We can say pollination is a sexual reproduction in flowering plant. Pollination is done in between same species. It is a process of transferring pollen grains from anther to the stigma of the same flower or of different flower but flower should be of same species.
Can we do pollination in different plants
Yes, we can do pollination in two different plants but plants should be of same species. It means if you are doing pollination in mango tree then other tree should be mango tree as well you cant perform pollination between mango and banana tree or between bananas and guava tree.
Role of Anther and Stigma
Anther – Anther is male part of a flower that produces pollen grains and it is carried by insects bees or by human hand to the stigma of the same or other (female) part for pollination process.
In simple words we can say it is a sexual process between flowers it is done for fruit setting. It is a natural process and as same as done in human between two people of opposite sex means male and female. As two males or two females cant produce child; same thing happens in flowers two male parts (anther) cant produce fruit they need female parts (stigma) of flowers therefore pollination is very important for production.
Image credit – Pixabay – Plant pollen
Note – A single flower can produce fruits by own because the same flower has anther and stigma both parts this is called self pollination.
Types of Pollination
Pollination are of two types 1. Self Pollination 2. Cross Pollination
1. Self Pollination
Autogamy (same flower)
Geitonogamy (different flowers of same plant)
Autogamy – It is a process of pollination in same flower of a plant. Flower is fertilizing by own.
Geitonogamy – In this process pollination takes place in between different flowers of same plant.
2. Cross Pollination
The cross pollination process takes place between two different plants and they are done with two methods.
Abiotic agencies – In this process pollination is done by non living things like air and water.
Biotic agencies – This process is done with the help of living creatures like insect, bat, snail, humming birds, birds, bees, flies etc.
Pollinator park in Uttarakhand
This question is often asked by people; India’s first pollinator park has been established in which state and the answer is Uttarakhand. India’s first pollinator park has been opened in Haldwani location that falls in Kumauni region which is near by Nainital.
This is the first pollinator park in India. Reason to create the pollinator park is to increase the production of fruits by increasing pollination.
What is pollinator park
Pollinator park or garden is necessary to maintain ecosystem. It is a place where various types of species of birds, bees, insects, butterflies etc are kept in good care these species were surrounded with various flowers, plants and trees including small water tank. Main role of the pollinator park is to protect these pollinators and provide them better opportunity to survive so that they can transfer pollens from male part of the flower to female part of the flower which results fruit set.
Pollinator park is consist of
The haldwani pollinator park is consist of around 50 different pollinator species some of them are :
- Honey bees
- Various insects
- Vertical farming – read this also
Butterflies and honey bees are good and efficient pollinators hence this park contains special verities of these species.
Who inaugurated haldwani pollinator park
Haldwani pollinator park was inaugurated by the scientist called Peter Smetacek he is a lepidopterist, means butterfly researcher. Peter is the founder of butterfly research centre.
Uttarakhand pollinator Park inauguration date
Where was the india’s first pollinator park inaugurated in December 2020
Pollinator park haldwani was inaugurated last year dated 29 dec 2020
Features of the pollinator park Uttarakhand
- Nice display board explaining about pollination process to educate the people
- Display boards about butterflies, honeybees, birds, moths, insects, wasps, beetles, and small mammals.
- Planned arrangement of ultraviolet lights to attract night pollinators like moths.
- Small water tanks for butterflies
- Special arrangement for Indian bee called Apis cerana indica
- This bee species is non aggressive and don’t like groupism hence used in honey bee business.
- Cut fruits to attract butterflies.
- Host plants for butterfly eggs
- hots plants – curry leaves, citrus species, cassia species, lantana
Aim of the Park –
- Create awareness among the people about the importance of pollinators, to promote research on various new ideas of pollination
- To protect the pollinator species.
- Use of all types of chemicals are prohibited not only inside the park but also near by the park.
- First pollinator park in India, pollinator park in haldwani location
- Pollinator park in hindi is known as parag karn park
Area of pollinator park – The park is spread in more than 4 acre land.
Pollinator park in haldwani address
It is situated in Van anusandhan kendra, rampur bypass road, haldwani, Uttarakhand
Forest Ground, forestry Training, Rampur bypass road, Rampur, Haldwani, Uttarakhand pin code – 263139