Dragon fruit farming profit per acre in India, how to eat/cut dragon fruit, taste of dragon fruit, investment, pitaya, yellow pitaya, rarest dragon fruit, best quality dragon fruit, pitaya bowl, where to sell dragon fruit in India, dragon fruit business farming in India etc.
I have tried my best to cover all the topics, if you find to add something please feel free to comment below..
" Suggestions are Valuable"
The History of Dragon Fruit
Vietnam is the place where dragon fruit is extensively grown, pitaya fruit is known as Thalang loy. It is believed that the super fruit was introduced to Vietnam by the French we can also say that French is the pitallas of pitaya, and today the average yield per hectare is 22-26 tonnes, that is a milestone itself.
According to Aztec literature Pitahaya fruit date back to the 13th century. The dragon fruit is native to Central America. Dragon fruit business plan
Malaysia is another warm region where you are sure to find the dragonfruit. It was first introduced in 1999 in Sitiawan, Johar and Kuala Pilah regions. If you are asked about commercial use of this fruit, then I can suggest Colombia and Nicaragua are other places where pitahaya fruit is grown for commercial purposes.
It does not mean that cultivation of dragon fruit is situated only the places as mentioned above.
These regions attest that Pitaya cactus fruit requires a warm climate, thus prospers well in semi-arid areas. Planting the fruit has extraordinarily high prospects since it's industrially used in juices, making wine and flavorings, not forgetting its medicinal value, which many people have grown to trust.
While dragon fruit is a cousin of the cactus pear, the two fruit exhibit key differences: first, pitaya seeds are edible much like kiwi fruit; secound the fruit does not typically have spines, instead processing various coloured protective shoots that surround the baseball-sized fruit in the United States, dragon fruit continues to gain popularity, which is spurring in expansion in commercial production.
Dragon Fruit farming profit in india
Message to viewers - It's my pillar content and I have tried to cover all the information about dragon fruit cultivation and management, dragon fruit farming profit, cost, yield, project report and more. If you are facing any problem then use search box or content table to directly reach at your query because the page contains more than 8k words.
To read in your language go to top menu and select language option where you will get your local language --> Hindi, Marathi, Bengali, Gujarati, Punjabi, Kerala, Tamil, Kannada etc
In below section you will get the information about dragon fruit farming profit in India or click the link to jump directly on dragon fruit business plan where you will get the costs, profits and dragon fruit yield per acre.
What is Dragon Fruit?
The fruit is a cousin of cactus or we can say it belongs to cactus species. It is a tropical fruit. it grows on the Hylocereus cactus, also known as the Honolulu queen, whose flower only open at night. Pitaya fruit is a tropical fruit native to Mexico and the United States of America. Somehow, I wouldn't say I liked the taste of this cactus fruit when I tasted it the first time. It's taste is like a combination of a kiwi and a pear.
Why is the fruit called dragon fruit?/ How the fruit got the name dragon fruit?
It is called dragon fruit because this fruit's colour is very similar to the dragon colour. It contains bright red skin with green scales that resembles dragon; hence the name has fallen dragon fruit. Because it is a historic fruit, there are different reason for the name, it is the matter of relevancy.
The fruit may look exotic, but its flavour are similar to other fruits. Its taste has been described as a slightly sweet cross between a kiwi and a pear. The most widely available variety has white pulp with black seeds exists. Another variety--referred as yellow dragon fruit--has yellow skin and white pulp with black seeds.
What is the price of one dragon fruit
Price of dragon fruit varies between Rs 150 to 200 per/kg, Rs 200 to 400 per/kg and above according to different verities and location. Dragon fruits are usually big in size and if some one is looking for single fruit then the size plays an important role here. Suppose, if a person is buying one kg dragon fruit at the price of Rs 150 then depending on size one single dragon fruit might be between Rs 90 to 120. Although, 1 gram of saffron price is equal to 1 kg of dragon fruit price, 10 gram saffron price or 100 gram saffron price is much more in comparison of pitaya fruit but the labour cost is also huge in kesar cultivation.
Is Pitaya and Dragon fruit are the same
Yes pitaya, pitahaya or dragon fruit all are the same. If you use, yahoo, google search or bing, or any other search engine to sort your query, you will find that it is most searched as pitaya in Brazil, France, Mexico, Turkey, Spain and USA. In countries like India, United Kingdom, USA, Australia, Canada, Philippines, it is mostly searched as dragon fruit. In Vietnam dragon fruit is known as thalang loy.
It seems dark puplish red flesh from fruit grown in Colombia and Nicargua, Which is like a sweet juicy, meaty watermelon. Here I would like to clarify that pitaya fruit is actually a cousin of the cactus pear.
Jan 16, 2021
Pitahaya fruit contains small amount of several nutrients. It's also a descent source of iron, magnesium, and fibre.
Given the high amount of fibre and magnesium and the extremely low calorie content, dragon fruit can be considered a highly nutrient-dense fruit.
In today's era BP and Sugar are the most common diseases so here a question raises. Is dragon fruit high in sugar ? Then, I must say pitaya fruit is a low calorie fruit that contains less sugar and few carbs than many other tropical fruits.
- Both red and white varieties of pitahaya fruit are useful to reduce insulin resistance and fatty liver in obese mice.
- Red pitaya betacyanins protect from diet-induced obesity, liver steatosis and insulin resistance in association with gut microbiota modulation in mice.
Top ten health benefits of dragon fruit
- Rich in antioxidants like flavonoids, phenolic and betacyanin.
- The protein component of the pitahaya fruit enhances the body's metabolism.
- It's naturally fat free and high in fibre.
- Carotene helps maintain and equally improve the health of the eyes.
- Phosphorous aids in tissue formation.
- It contains prebiotics, which are food that feed the healthy bacteria called probiotics in your gut.
- It can strength your immune system.
- Vitamin B1 assists in the production of energy as well as metabolizing carbohydrates.
- Vitamin B2 acts as a multivitamin to recover and improve loss appetite.
- Vitamin B3 lowers bad cholesterol level and enhances the appearance of the skin by moisturizing and smoothening it.
- These are some of the health benefits of eating dragon fruits.
You guys truly kick ass. Thanks for being so awesome. High fives!"
DANA MOORE // Designer
How to eat Dragon Fruit/How to cut Dragon Fruit
When we see the shape and size of the fruit, it straight comes in our mind- how to cut this fruit and how to eat it, whether it strikes funnily or it may come irritatingly, but it comes while seeing a pitahaya fruit first time.
Don't worry I am sharing the correct method of eating this fruit with you. For the most part, the fruit is eaten in its raw form.
To enjoy dragon fruit, you can slice it in half scoop out the slightly firm flesh with a spoon, eat it right out of the shell, or use a spoon to cut & remove the flesh from the skin.
Let me make it more easy:
Note- Eating a dried pitaya fruit equals eating 10x the punch of a fresh pitaya fruit, constituting essential vitamins such as vitamin C, micronutrients and fibre. Thus, consumption of 1.5 oz of a dried fruit equates to almost eating a full pound of the fresh dragonfruit.
All the necessary and important dietary fibre, micronutrients and vitamin C are still in abundance in dried pitahaya fruit. How to make dragon fruit kombucha recipe!
How to cut dragon fruit easily, how to cut dragon fruit video | dragon fruit cutting video
How does dragon fruit taste
Pitahaya fruit tastes like a mix between a kiwi and a pear. While a fresh pitahaya fruit contains lots of water, justifying the soft creamy texture you feel when eating it fresh, a dry pitahaya fruit features a chewy feel and generally appears darker than the fresh fruit.
This then explains the phrase "colour your diet" for this amazing fruit rich in all vital nutrients that your body requires, and what is more, it is very easy to eat. Taste of dragon fruit is sweet fresh and slightly sour.
One can also try various fruit recipes
Hence can easily make fruit juice, fruit shake, ice cream, jelly, marmalade and preserves, juice, pastries, pulp, and yogurt.
Can I eat dragon fruit daily
I am not a doctor, but I know that excess of anything is harmful, or we can say dangerous for example there is hardly any person who hates rainy showers but imagine what happens when it occurs in excess. Sometime it creates mud, and sometimes it just destroys the whole town or city by fluid so there should be limitations not only in eating things but also in our relationships.
Anyways, I would say the daily recommendation for adults is at least 25 grams and the fruit packs 7 grams in a single one cup serving.
It contains a high amount of fibre and magnesium and the extremely low calorie content, and dragon fruit can be considered a highly nutrient-dense fruit.
"Fiber of this fruit benefits gastrointestinal and cardiovascular health." It is a low calorie fruit high in fibre and provides many vitamins and minerals. It is beneficial if one is obsessed with obesity and trying hard to lose weight. It is quite popular due to its fibre and antioxidant content.
Does Dragon Fruit make you Poop
The fruit is not only pretty to look at, but it's also full of health benefits! here a question is often asked, does this include helping you poop? I have done some research here's what I have found and hope you will be satisfied, but I have to give some credit to health briefly.com because I found the appropriate answer for my search.
- 1As if we know this fruit is rich in fibre, which plays a significant role in the digestive process. Fibre helps increase water in your stools and adds bulk to them, making them softer and more comfortable to pass through the colon.
- 2The fruit contains oligosaccharides, a type of fibre that acts as a prebiotics that promotes the growth of good bacteria in your gut such as lactobacilli and bifidobacterial. These bacteria are known as good bacteria as they play an essential role in keeping your gut healthy and functioning correctly.
- 3Pitahaya fruit can help you get rid of constipation by making you poop more because of its high fibre content. Pitahaya fruit is also known to help with IBS (irritable bowl syndrome).
How to lose your weight
Does dragon fruit make you lose weight?
- One whole pitaya fruit contains just 60 calories and only eight grams of sugar. That is terrific compared to other fruits, one apple is about eighty calories, where banana and mango carries 100 calories.
- Hence, the lesser calories we will intake the lesser weight we will gain. If you will take fewer calories and burn more than there is a high possibility to reduce weight or burn belly fat, if you work harder you might reduce tummy in just seven days.
- Yes there are very high chance to lose weight via pitahaya fruit but at the same time you should be strict with your other food habits, like one should avoid oily food just stay away from junk food otherwise only fruit can't do anything.
How to lose weight from 100 kgs to 50-60 kgs if someone asks question like this, one will instantly think about the calories. Here I can add a question for you how we gain wait? And the answer is simple it depends on a formula,
how much calories we are burning in and how much calories we are burning out.
I can make it clear with this example:
If you are eating two chapatis of 25 gram each (1chapati+1chapati=200 calories) (1chapati of 25gram = 100 calories) that means you are taking 200 calories and if you are burning (running, exercise, jogging etc) only 160 calories, rest 40 calories will store in your body. If this process continues than you are adding everyday extra 40 calories.
Masters of Nutrition
Advanced Health LTX7 Certified
Which colour dragon fruit is best
Colours are often colourful, when you are happy. Anyways, dragon fruit carries different colours.
Yellow and Red pitahaya fruits are best colour fruits, quality-wise and even taste-wise they are more sweeter than white fruit.
I can share a quick briefing of the countries that cultivate dragon fruit in various colours.
Vietnam is Asia's top producer, primarily growing fruit with bright pink skin and white flesh; other Asian countries cultivating the fruit include Malaysia, Philippines, Srilanka, Taiwan and Thailand.
Nicargua and Ecuador both grow significant amounts of a pink skin dragon species deep to light pink flesh. Ecuador also grows a yellow- skinned variety with white flesh, which is also cultivated in Colombia, Mexico, Cost Rica, El Salvador and Guatemla are also seasonal producers.
It best to hand pitaya fruit at harvest when well coloured from yellow or pink to red.
Moreover, I will say "C" type fruit is the best which falls mostly in red colour.
Read this also - Tobacco farming profit in India
What is Pitaya bowl
Pitaya bowls are my favourite one for a healthy meal, they are colourful and tasty option for any meal.
Pitaya bowl is packed with nutritious ingredients like blueberry, almond, pineapple, granola, mango, milk and dragon fruit.
These tasty components of a frutta bowl, are beautifully arranged in a visually pleasing way that makes them irresistible.
A pitahaya bowl is a beautiful pink smoothie bowl made with red, yellow and pink pitaya fruits, also known as dragon fruit. It's usually topped with nut butter, fruit and granolas. Pitaya tastes like a mix between a kiwi and a pear. Read this also kiwi fruit farming profit per acre
You can order these bowls online as well, for better results check- amazon, flipkart, freshdirect.com etc.
What is Pitaya Food
One can made pitahaya food at home as well they are a healthy, colourful and tasty option for any meal. They are packed with nutritious ingredients like blueberry, almond, pineapple, granola, mango, milk, and dragon fruit. These tasty components are beautifully arranged in a visually pleasing way that makes them looks more beautiful.
Pitahaya food consist of pink, red and yellow pitaya fruits.
Why did Gujarat rename dragon fruit to “Kamalam”?
According to NDTV - The dragon fruit will be renamed "Kamalam" in Gujrat as it is shaped like a lotus and the original name is associated with china, Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani said on Tuesday.
According to the CM the Gujrat Government has applied for a patent to rename the exotic fruit.
The word "Kamalam" is Sanskrit and fruit looks like a lotus.
Farmers in Gujarat has already started branding it as "kamalam Fruit" in local markets.
"The name has instant connect with local farmers" - keyword delivered by Gujrat Government.
However, CM Rupani ruled out any political reason behind renaming the fruit as Kamalam. But at the same time he said the original name is associated with china!
As we all know India has banned several apps related to china, it might be another step against the dragons. Who knows?
To Get Regular Updates
How to grow dragon fruit
How to start dragon fruit cultivation - You can follow the steps given below in which I have tried to cover almost all questions related to dragon fruit farming with the help of FAQ
Dragon fruit farming FAQ
What is the price of a single dragon fruit plant cutting
If you are thinking to grow this fruit at your home or your farm, then the first ever question strikes to your mind as it did strike to me as well, is - the cost of dragon fruit cutting is?
The cost of one dragon fruit plant cutting is Rs 30 per plant
dragon fruit farming PDF or dragon fruit project report pdf is available at the top of the post for more pdf you just need to type "Yes I want dragon fruit cultivation pdf in hindi" or in any language.
I will provide you dragon fruit planting instruction pdf. In this post you can get dragon fruit farming information in marathi, telugu or in various language you just need to select your own language from top menu.
aRsp // Designer
What climate does dragon fruit need?
It is a fruit of warm climate, it loves sunlight and heat, but that also should not be excessive. However, this fruit plant survives in poor soil conditions and temperature variations, but the tropical climate region is best for the plant.
Hence it's a subtropical perennial plant; loves warm weather and partial sun. If you live in a high altitude area where the climate is colder, you can still grow it, but make sure you do so in pots, and don't put the shrub outside, significantly if below 28F
It grows as cactus plant which love warm, humid climates and need very little water. These plants are a subtropical plant which needs at least six hours of sunlight per day. They will also grow well in a warm and sunny spot indoors.
Choose a spot that's as dry and as sunny as can be. In hot climates, such as tropical or subtropical climates, place the Pitaya Mexicana plant in a semi shaded area.
If possible, try not to expose the fruit plant to temperature below 32F (OC), or temperature above 100F (38C)- both of these extremes can be fatal to your plant.
What kind of soil does dragon fruit need?
Soil requirement for cultivation
- Drip Irrigation Is The Most Effective Technique For Cultivation.
- PURCHASE SALES FUNNEL - VIID CLOUD - ADD POWER
How much water does dragon fruit need?
Best time to plant dragon fruit
How to grow dragon fruit from seeds and cuttings
How to grow dragon fruit from cutting?
- How to grow from cuttings- Cut a 6-15 inch (12-38cm) stem from a plant (the parent plant) at least one-year-old. Cut at an angle for best results. Let the cut stem heal for about a week in a dry place.
- I highly recommend the drip irrigation technique, that is most useful while planting fruit on a large scale. Use a concrete pole to support your plant because it is a climbing plant and needs support in initial days.
How to grow dragon fruit from seed?
- 1If one uses seeds instead of cuttings to have the fruits, he should know that it takes a longer time to grow than plant cuttings. It may take more than 16 months to produce fruits, while plant cutting only take 8 months to deliver fruits.
- 2Anyways choice and circumstances both are yours, be sure to acquire good quality, preferably organic seeds from a reputed seller.
- 3To grow from seeds
- Slice a dragon fruit in half and use a spoon to scrape some seeds. Rinse the seeds. Pulp will cling to the seeds, and it's fair to plant with it attached. Fill a small pot with sterile seed starter or cactus soil mix. Moisten the soil but avoid saturating it with water. Use a spoon to mix the seed into the top quarter-inch of soil. Make sure this layer is moist and then cover with a plastic sandwich bag or clear food wrap. The cover will retain moisture and warmth
- Note - Growing from seeds can take several years to bear fruit, but in the meantime, you will have a stunning flowering cactus.
How to plant a dragon fruit at your home or garden
- If you want to plant a dragon fruit at your home or garden, you should chose a container or pot that's big enough to support the plant and ensure it has suitable drainage holes. The pot should be at least 20-25 inches deep and hold 30-35 gallons.
- Fill your pot with the correct soil, and water the soil well. Wait until the soil has absorbed all the water and is draining properly before planting. Dig a hole in the middle of the soil that's at least 3-5 inches deep and place the cutting inside it, packing the soil firmly around the stem.
- To plant this fruit in your garden you need a pole to give support to your dragon plant, you can use concrete plant for best results. Don't need to feed it with fertilizer for couple of months for details scroll down and go to my fertilizer section. Although pitaya fruit plant can be grown in any soil but sandy and loamy soils are best for dragon fruit plant.
How to grow dragon fruit in pots?
- There are two ways you can grow dragon fruits in pots. The first way involves growing the plant from cuttings, and the secound way is to plant seeds. Which ever method you choose keep in mind that growing it from seed could take couple of years to produce fruits, whereas growing from cuttings will only take eight months or hardly a year.
- Growing from cuttings is the most popular method, but it can also be quite challenging to achieve, especially for beginner gardeners. The fruit grows well in pots, especially if you live in a cooler climate or do not have a lot of growing space.
- Fruit growing in pots is reasonably easy to care for, and dragon fruit plants are no exception Growing dragon fruit in pots is easy because you can move the pot indoors once the weather cools and you can also control the amount of sun it receives.
- Choose a pot about once or two times bigger than the dragon fruit's root ball. It will usually be a 5-gallon pot that's 10-12 inches in depth. You will need to re-pot the plant every year as it grows. A mature dragon fruit tree will fit in a 25-30 gallon size pot.
Dragon fruit varieties in India
Three dragon fruit varieties and best quality dragon fruit variety is explained below.
- Hylocereus undatus : White flesh with pink/red skin most popular in Australia.
- Hylocereus Megalanthus : White flesh with yellow skin.
- Hylocereus Costaricensis : Purple/red flesh and pink/red skin.
- 1Hylocereus Megalanthus- This type of dragon fruit has a white fruit flesh and a yellow shell. The shell of this variation is a bit thornier than the rest of the variations, so it is rarer to see in a garden.
- 2Hylocereus Undatus- This is a variation with same white flesh, but exterior of this fruit is red.
- 3Hylocereus Costaricensis- This type of fruit is red in colouration on both the shell and the flesh. The flesh is often a deep red colouration that looks almost unnatural or blood-like.
Hylocereus Megalanthus is the best quality dragon fruit, also known commonly as the Yellow Ecuador Palora dragon fruit. It is also known as yellow pitahaya it is the sweetest dragon fruit.
While choosing the fruit no need to think which dragon fruit is best between red and white, just chose red instead of a white one. Normally dragon fruit weight is between 150 to 600 gram but in some case it may be around 1 kg or more.
when it comes to price yellow and red dragon fruits are the most expensive fruits, white coloured fruit is the cheapest dragon fruit.
Which is the rarest dragon fruit in the world
Tyalgum Purple Dragon Fruit is the rarest fruit in the world. That is considered as superior quality fruit.
Apart from dragon fruit geranium is the most sustainable crop and gaining popularity regularly as a sustainable agriculture crop in industrial agriculture. Geranium plant farming is becoming hot topic between farmers and they often compare geranium farming vs mentha farming. However, geranium farming profit is much more than mentha farming profit. Also, government is encouraging aroma mission to increase geranium plant production in India.
Also read about linguda sabji, lengude ki sabji. It is a traditional dish in garhwal region where now a days kandali plant farming and hemp farming are becoming hot topics. Kandali plant in english stinging nettle, stinging nettle farming is very popular in the European countries.
What is the best fertilizer for dragon fruit plant
Fertilizer for pitaya can be divided into two parts organic and inorganic. Inorganic fertilizer has better control over nutrients and can be complimented with that of organic fertilizers.
Organic fertilizers like compost or manure have the advantage of releasing nutrients more slowly. Therefore the combination with inorganics, whose release is faster, is a good option.
How to make organic fertilizer at home
How and when to fertilize dragon fruit
You must be curious to know how and especially when to feed plant with fertilizer.
Apply fertilizer after 2 to 3 months after planting a tree. It is when the tree starts growing. During the first year after planting a dragon fruit cactus, fertilize every eight weeks with light doses (1/4 1b) of fertilizer.
Once the trance plant is done, and during the first 30 days, it is not fair to apply any fertilizer. After those days, and once you start to notice the first spring buds, you can apply an 8-3-9 or 6-6-6 type fertilizer in a four-ounce amount.
This fertilization should be done every 60-days, until the first autumn days. Be sure to spread the fertilizer evenly. Start fertilizing a couple of inches from the stem, extending is 10-15 inches from the stem. After application make good irrigation.
Apply approximately four pounds of organic fertilizer during the summer. Never overlap both fertilizers, organic and inorganic, try to have a month of difference between one and the other.
Since as the plant grows, its nutrient needs increase proportionally, the amounts of fertilizers to be applied to plants older than two years should be higher. Increase the amount. in the case of inorganic fertilizer, application goes from 4 ounces to 5 and since the roots are further away, apply them at a greater distance (not less then 18 inches from the stem).
Lets have a look in short
John Doe Applied the technique, and it helped me to produce good results.
Like • Reply • 10h
Different ways to pollinate dragon fruit
- Most dragon fruit verities are self pollinating, but there are a few verities that require cross-pollination. If that is the case, you will need to grow two or more plants close to one another so they can cross-pollinate. Cross pollination usually occur at night because pollination depends on moths and bats.
- Moths, bats and bees pollinate the plant, but some varieties do not self pollinate at all. The hand pollination comes into play. You will need to collect the pollen from two different plants, and gently use a cotton swab to paint it onto the opposite plants stigma to cross-pollinate. It needs to be one at night so between eight at night and the six in the morning is best. If you are pollinating different plant use a new cotton swab for each. It will take about a month for the fruit to grow.
How to prune dragon fruit
It is best to prune dragon fruit plant regularly to control the size and improve air circulation. it will also help prevent fungal infections and diseases. If left to its own devices, the tree can grow up to 20 feet in height. Prune the tree annually by removing any dead stems as well
as over going.
How to care dragon fruit with different ideas
Mealybugs and aphids can be a common problem for any fruit. They are sap-sucking pests that feed on the sweet sap of the plant. Aphids also attracts ants, who will then feed on the plant. Mites and thripes can also hinder; they will not kill the plant, but they are not suitable for their overall health.
Dragon spots, which occur on the stems and leaves of a plant, can be the sign that your plant has an infection. Bacteria can cause other issues as well as soft stem root. It is a disease that affects the ends of the branches. These illness are typically transfered from plant to plant, so sterilize your clippers. Sunburn can occur during the hottest time of the year when the sun is sweltering hot, and if too much water is given to the plant, rot can also occur.
You can often think what is eating my plant? How do I keep ants off my plant, can I used vinegar to kill aphids and ants, what insects pests attack dragon fruit, how do I get rid of aphids permanently, do coffee grounds kill aphids? These are some irritating but anxious questions. Stop overthinking and start implementing the solutions; I have tried to cover some of them.
Indeed, pests on our fruit plants are annoying, and every one would like to remove them at once. The most important thing is to be vigilant. Pests come from opportunity and chance, by regular care, we can minimize the chance pests infest our plant and remove most opportunities for them. There are various methods to remove various pests. Some are specific to a certain kind while other might be more general. It recommended to combined several methods for better result. Here are what we can do.
- Remove the pests where they came from, ants have there nests somewhere nearby. Search these nests use an insecticide to destroy them. A plant owner should watch these areas to prevent the pests from coming back. It is also recommended to remove unnecessary weeds, dead leaves and other detritus to prevent pests make a nest there.
- Apply pesticide. Pesticide comes in various form and strength. White, mealybugs can be removed by mechanical means (brushing and washing the plant with soap). Another option is using homemade/organic pesticide. This type of pesticide is less dangerous to the environment, but won't last as long. It is recommended to rotate pesticides to avoid insects becoming resistant to them.
- Have baits to distract pests. Honestly, I am not sure how effective this could be, but some hobbyists (for reasons) try to avoid killing pests if can. Instead, they put bait somewhere around to distract the pests from infesting their plants, such as placing a bowl of sugar to attract ant and distracting them from the fruit trees.
- Putting your plant in a visible area and having a light source near by will deter some pests. Dragon fruit planted in an open area with a lot of sunlight will have less chance to be infested by mealybugs. Pests usually don't like to be around where they can be observed easily.
- Introduce predators and competitor species. This can be quite effective for organic farms and hobbyists. To introduce predators, we need to make the location suitable for their lives (i.e. pond for frogs, trees for birds and lizards). Besides adding more lives and interest in our lawn, predators are also voracious eaters; they will remove the pests and breed more as long as their prey around, so the number of the pests kept low. Insectivorous birds can eat a large number of insects.
5. It might look awkward, but you can try this method as well, that I felt scientific, weaver ants not only prey on caterpillars, but they also guard their area zealously, swarming and attacking other pests which comes close, they can be effective guardians for your plants, but in time of harvest, you need to find a way to remove them as well. Luckily, removing weaver ants' nest is easier than removing other ants as their nests are visible in trees.
This is seriously good stuff here. I’ve shared it around. Now I need to go back and check how I’ve used the ones I already have.
"I have waited so long for complete, comprehensive stuff and finally found it."
How long does it take to grow dragon fruit and deliver the first fruit
How to harvest dragon fruit plant
Use the sickle or hand to pick the fruits.
However, harvesting is the most easiest job. Moreover, you need fair amount of labours to perform it, if you have dragon fruit farm on a large scale. You should use the sickle as priority, and can also pick the fruits by hands.
Harvesting - As if, we all know that dragon fruit farming is a labour cost farming because it usually demands good amount of labour and so is for harvesting as well, if one is having the export business of dragon fruit then it becomes more vital to have fair labour.
These plants starts bearing fruits in the first year. Generally, these plant start flowering in May to June month and bear fruits from Aug to Dec months.
When to harvest
The fruit becomes ready for harvesting after one month of flowering. Fruiting time continues till December. Picking up these fruits can be done up to six times within this period.
The fruit harvesting stage is very simple as immature fruit colour is bright green and will turn into a red colour once it is ripened. The exact time for harvesting is 3 to 4 days of colour change. But while exporting, they should be harvested one day after the colour change. Use the sickle or hand to pick the fruits.
Organizations supporting dragon fruit farming in India/World
For more details on- DRAGON FRUIT FARMING -watch this excellent video
After going through the dragon fruit farming detail guide you must have collected sufficient knowledge & there is a very high possibility of striking some idea, if it does then feel free to share it with me.
After enhancing your knowledge there must be some questions raising in your mind, don't worry just scroll down for the answers.
Cost of dragon fruit farming
The Solution: 5 to 6 lakh per/acre is the dragon fruit farming cost
Five to six lakh per acre is the much needed investment for dragon fruit farming. Drip irrigation, leveling, labour installation included with good quality of plant will cost 5 to 6 lakh per/acre.
It is a one time investment because the life of the plant is at least 20 years. Dragon fruit is a climbing cactus and will need support to climb. Therefore, in orders, to grow you will need to plant it near a fence, build a trellis, or a climbing pole. In either case, it's extremely important for your fruit plant to be able to support itself.
I am suggesting concrete as support because the weight of this plant will grow 200 to 250 kg in 5 to 10 years (because of tons of fruits). Moreover, it is economically very good in comparison to steel and other materials; concrete pole usually survive for thirty years. The cactus plant needs support, and concreate is one of the cheapest and healthiest option available to support the plant for years.
One can install the spacing of eight foot by ten foot, 450-500 concrete poles in one acre of land can be installed for dragon fruit farming.
Labour cost in required in fruit farm: As dragon fruit farming is a commercial crop farming system, we must employ at least one labour or skilled worker to manage a 1-acre fruit farm. On average, we may pay Rs-6,000, per/month. For one year, the labour cost is Rs-72,000 for one skilled labour/worker.
Age of dragon fruit is approximately 20 years however, it can produce few fruits after 8 months and lot more fruits after 2 years moreover it will increase producing fruits every year till twenty years; this is the most promising reason behind the ultimate success of this plant across the world.
If we talk about variety, then one should try "C" variety plant because it is high yielding and fast-growing plant variety.
Red pulp variety is 160-220 Rs kg but whit pulp variety is meagre, only 70-80 Rs kg.
Is dragon fruit farming profitable
It's a considerable number to even think about it, and straight away, a question falls in our mind, is dragon fruit farming profitable ! Don't worry, I will answer with a calculation and prove how to earn ten million per acre from the fruit farming.
Lets dive in deeper
Dragon fruit cultivation cost per acre- When it comes to profit, the income from 1- acre dragon fruit is around ten lakhs, after taking out the cost, you can get a net profit up to five lakhs, per acre in first year later it will increase. The amount of five lakh which you invested is one time investment for twenty years because the life of dragon fruit is at least 20 years.
One can get fruit from just eight months old dragon fruit plant, and after sixteen months, it can produce 6.5 ton per acre. It will increase day by day after two years it will produce at-least 10 to 12 ton of dragon fruits per/acre. Let us do a quick math here.
However, the average price of red pulp dragon fruit is 150-200 Rs/kg, for example if someone is producing around ten-ton fruits in one acre of land and selling it in just 100 Rs/kg then also he is earning 10 lakh in one year, still can't understand look at the formula-
1 ton = 1016 kg ---> 10 ton (10x1016) will be = 10160 kg
If selling price is 100 Rs per/kg ---> 100 x 10160 = 10,16,000 - Rs Ten lakh, sixteen thousand/
I guess, I have made you understand about dragon fruit business plan and now you are aware of dragon fruit yield per year. I have given just an example you can calculate it by putting the actual value of the fruit which is around 150-200 Rs/kg in C type variety. Don't forget to reduce your investment of Rs 5 to 6 lakh, but the specialty of the fruit i.e, it is just one time investment and will give more benefits after increasing years. Apply the same formula to get dragon fruit yield per hectare.
Where to sell dragon fruit in India
Before starting dragon fruit cultivation for profit you should know where to sell dragon fruit and Mumbai is the hottest dragon fruit mandi in India because dragon fruit farming in Maharashtra is in much more profit making position then others. Apart from Mumbai dragon fruit selling market is available at Gujarat, Ahmadabad (kalupur market), Karnataka and you can also choose online platform like indiamart to sell your product. You can make your own online store and tie up with some big brands like amazon.com, bigbasket.com, indiamart.com etc.
Apart from this you can also contact with 3 to 5 start hotels where the pitaya fruit is used as desert, starter, pitaya bowl and sometime in main course. You should also approach big ice cream companies where the demand of kamalam fruit is quite impressive due to dragon fruit shake, pitaya fruit shake and these big companies contains lots of small stalls. You can also target big malls where the demand of pitaya bowl seems always high.
Is dragon fruit cultivation in India
How to cultivate dragon fruit in India/Can we grow dragon fruit in India
Yes, there is an excellent scope in dragon fruit cultivation in India, the cultivation of the fruit is gaining popularity day by day especially in the south region including Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil-Nadu, Maharashtra, Gujrat, Orrisa, West-Bengal, Andhra-Pradesh and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
We can't see much growth in the north region of India compared to the south region. However, this fruit plant survives in poor soil conditions and temperature variations. But the tropical climate region is best for its cultivation - the tropical monsoon climate. A tropical monsoon climate is the type of climate found in the southern and central area.
Karnataka is fast emerging as the country's leader in dragon fruit cultivation, spread over 1000 acres in the state. Dragon fruit farming in Karnataka becoming the hottest industry in India.
Not only that, the State has become a knowledge bank for the cultivation of exotic fruit as scientist of the Hessarghatta- based Indian Institute of Horticulture Research (IIHR) are supporting its cultivation in different parts of the country through technical counselling.
I am not saying that it cannot be grown in a region like Nepal and Uttarakhand instead of that this fruit farming in Nepal is on the growing scale, but the fruit farming in Uttarakhand is way back. For same fruit Gujarat is scaling day by day.
For more information (pharmacological uses) of this plant click on the links given below -
A detailed guide of dragon fruit farming/cultivation Worldwide
If we deeply analyze the fruit farming areas, we could find all the warm and humid locations. It doesn't mean that pitaya fruit cannot be grown in colder areas, but I am saying that the atmosphere required for dragon fruit to grow naturally is warm and humid. It is an exotic cactus
Let me make it more transparent, so look at the cultivation of the fruit in different world areas.
Dragon fruit farm
Dragon fruit farming in Vietnam, Florida, California, Cebu, Malaysia, Australia, Philippines, dragon fruit farming in Brazil, Kenya, dragon fruit farm Florida, dragon fruit farming in Nepal, fruit cultivation in Nicaragua, cultivation in Taiwan, farming in Srilanka, farm Thailand.
Vietnam is Asia's top producer, primarily growing fruit with bright pink skin and white flesh; other Asian countries cultivating the fruit include Malaysia, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and Thailand. Nicaragua and Ecuador both grow significant amounts of a pink-skinned dragon fruit species deep to light pink flesh. Ecuador also grows a yellow-skinned variety with white flesh, which is also cultivated in Colombia. Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Guatemala are also seasonal producers.
While talking about India; of course it is not an Indian fruit but India has started scaling the dragon fruit cultivation, here I can share few of them with you, it is mostly grown in warm states and cities like dragon fruit farming in Karnataka, Kerala, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, farming in up, Kutch, dragon fruit farming in Maharashtra, farming in Tripura, Tamil Nadu, Orissa, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
You can clearly see not all but most regions where dragon fruit cultivation is growing on a good scale, are mostly warm places.
IIHR, Bangalore - Known for dragon fruit research.
When I searched the dragon fruit farm near me, I hardly got any in Uttarakhand.
Pitahaya fruit date back to the 13th century.
Vietnam is the place where dragon fruit is extensively grown; India also imports dragon fruit on a large scale from Vietnam. There are more than 150 varieties of this fruit.
Vietnam does ninety percent of world dragon fruit export. I want to tell you that Vietnam is famous for commercial farming of this fruit, and SOFRI is an institute in Vietnam, famous for dragon fruit farming training.
SOFRI- Southern Horticulture Research Institute- One can apply for the training of dragon fruit farming in SOFRI.
Vietnams economy run's via thirty five thousand crores by dragon fruit business. It's a vast number to change any country's economy by a single crop farming, and it so far Vietnam.
Which land is suitable for dragon fruit
Although it is soil friendly, but best soils suits are sandy loam to clay loam
The fruit is related to a cactus family, so it does not require more water, too much of sunlight is not good for its cultivation, in high sunlight area shading can be provided for better yield. Hence it can grow more comfortably in plane areas in comparison to the hill and high altitude areas.
If we deeply analyze the fruit farming areas, we could find all the warm and humid locations. It doesn't mean that pitaya fruit cannot be grown in colder areas.
This fruit can be grown on a wide range of soils from sandy loam to clay loam. However, sandy soils with good organic matter and internal drainage are best for its cultivation. Soil pH of 5.5 to 7 is best for fruit cultivation. Dragon fruit loves well-draining soil. One can also make soil by mixing in half perlite and half peat or add a little bit of sand into the soil. The good news is that dragon fruit is very tolerant of poor soil, and even cactus oil will work well. Because it's a subtropical plant, dragon fruit loves warm weather and partial sun.
Pitaya jam production - For dragon fruit jam production ingredients you need : pitaya, white sugar, citric acid, pectin powder, water, sorbic acid. Quantity for these ingredients -
- Pitaya - 28-30 %
- White sugar - 45-50 %
- Citric acid - 0.5 %
- Water - 16.5-17 %
- Pectin powder - 5 %
- Sorbic acid - 0.5 %
- Sorbic is used as preservative so do not increase the value.
Method of making jam from pitaya fruit -
- First select mature fruits
- Wash it clearly
- Extract the pulp with the help of knife or spoon
- Add water
- Grind it with the help of pulverize machine
- Pulp need to be mesh completely
- Blend it with water and mix again.
What is the size of the dragon fruit's flower
Dragon fruit flowers are some of the most unique and strange looking flowers globally, not to mention some of the biggest! They can reach the diameter of upto 25 cm and are about 30 cm in length. Flowers only open up for one night and give off a beautiful exotic and fruity scent.
How much does a dragon fruit plant cost?
Dragon fruit plant varies between Rs 30 to 70 according to location. In places like Maharashtra, Karnataka you may get the plant between Rs 30-45 and in places like UP, Uttarakhand the dragon plant price can be up to Rs 50 to 70
Pros and Cons
Conclusion of dragon fruit farming profit, cost, yield
This is all about dragon fruit farming including dragon fruit yield per acre, dragon fruit cultivation cost per acre, taste, latest news, price, production, you can also download the pdf of project report from top left. I have tried my level best to collect all the information about dragon fruit, and served in my post for you guys. If you need any specific information or if you have any suggestion feel free to share it in below comment box.
If you are satisfied with the post please share it..
Thank You So Much
Spread the love