Agarwood farming is another hidden cultivation from most of the farmers and through this post we will try to put some light on agarwood cultivation profit per acre India. We would like to say that agarwood plantation investment in India can certainly change the life of any farmer if it is practiced in correct way. Agar tree price per kg in India is Rs 2 lakh to Rs 5 lakh as per the agar tree variety, Agarwood farming profit in India is growing day by day. Agarwood tree needs 8-10 year to grow mature whereas mahogany tree needs 10-15 years to grow mature but both tree provides good investment opportunities in tree farming zone.
Agarwood farming in India
Agarwood is also known as liquid gold. Agarwood is mainly cultivated in Assam. Moreover, Orissa, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Gujarat farmers are also aware of agarwood plantation investment and benefit hence started agarwood farming in Karnataka, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Orissa. Agartala, containing the name Agar due to Agarwood.
While talking agarwood global market agarwood farming in the Philippines is quite popular same as mahogany farming in Philippines moreover, agarwood cultivation in USA and Cambodia is also very popular. India still need to push this precious farming because farmers are yet (2021) not aware of this precious tree farming moreover, government need to make a clear platform to promote some important tree farming and that should contain easy permission area.
The agarwood tree in hindi name is ‘Agar’. The scientific name of Agarwood is Aquilaria and it is believed that the name agar came from Sanskrit name ‘Aguru’. It is listed as an endangered plant. First grade agarwood is one of the most precious and expensive natural raw materials in the entire world. Global market of agarwood was estimated above 8 billion dollar way back in 2013 and it is growing rapidly. Agarwood farming profit in India is much more than any other crop or tree farming but you need to check whether the cultivation of agarwood is permitted in your region or not.
It is also called Aguru and the name of agarwood is being used in incense sticks. Due to high class fragrance and aroma it is mainly used in aromatic products like incense and it has a huge demand in the perfume industry. The wood left after extracting the oil of Agarwood is used to make incense sticks (agarbatti).
Agarwood plant information
Agarwood grows on an average, upto 40 meter height. After getting injured it releases a dark color sap that is called resin. Resin is released by the tree to recover the cut or damaged area and this resin is being collected by farmers because it has huge global demand as it is majorly used to making incense, high quality aromatic products and has huge demand in the medicinal as well perfume industry.
Agarwood plant profile
- Agarwood tree family - Thymelaeaceae
- Agarwood scientific name - Aquilaria
- Ayurvedic agarwood name - Agaru
- Agarwood hindi name - Agarwood tree hindi name is Agar
- Agarwood tree english name - Eaglewood, Aloewood, Agarwood
- Agarwood trade name - Agar
- Agarwood uses - Fragrant resinous wood and oil are used in medicinal, ayurvedic and perfume sectors.
What is agarwood
Agar is a forest tree that usually grows at the height of 40 meters. It is also known as aloeswood, eaglewood or gharuwood. Agarwood is fragrant dark resinous wood used in making incense, perfumes and engraving. Resin is a highly clingy substance of plants.
Resin is embedded in the heartwood of agarwood trees and it is formed after getting infected due to any cut, wound or snip the tree gets infected with a type of mold and that mold is called phialophora parasitica, it is a type of fungi. After getting infected the tree releases resin to recover the damaged part.
It is the same process when the human body gets any cut and to stop the blood flow our body releases white blood cells and some other function is processed by our body. Like this plant also releases sap to overcome the injury and in agarwood this sap is called resin. As the infection spreads it releases dark black color resin and this resin contains all the price and value. These products are used in making perfume and after oil extraction the wood of agarwood is used in making incense. The price of 1 kg resin is nearly
Agarwood farming project report
Join our Telegram Group for Regular updates
Agarwood farming cost per acre
1 plant = Rs 30, Rs 45 to Rs 100
700 plants per acre
Rs 30 x 700 plants = 21,000
Planting material cost = Rs 21,000
Land preparation cost = Rs 15,000
Fertilizer cost = Rs 8,000
Irrigation cost = Rs 15,000
Drip irrigation cost = Rs 60,000
Plant protection charges = Rs 6000
Labor cost = Rs 20,000
Miscellaneous cost = Rs 5000
Total cost (1year) = Rs 150,000 (including plant cost)
Total cost for 8 years
Reduce plant cost from 1st year cost - Rs 150,000 - Rs 21,000 = 129,000
cost for 8 years = Rs 129,000 x 8 years = Rs10,32,000
Total cost = Rs 10,32,000 + plant cost i.e 21,000 = 10,53,000
Total cost for 8 years = Rs 10,53,000
Agarwood yield per tree
1 Agarwood tree can produce approximately 4 kg yield
agarwood price per kg 2021= Rs 2 lakh to Rs 5 lakh (depends on quality)
If 700 plants are planted and after 8-10 years only 500 trees are in good condition.
500 trees x Rs 2 lakh = 10 crore
Net profit = agarwood profit per acre - agarwood tree cost per acre
Net profit = 10 crore - 10,53,000
Net profit = Rs 9,89,47,000
Note - So this is the agarwood cultivation profit per acre. Price may differ according to the market and time. There are lots of duplicate variety in the market so be careful while purchasing it. Agarwood farming is not permitted in every state by the government so you need to check the agarwood cultivation permission at your region before starting agarwood plantation in India.
How to grow agarwood tree in India
How to start agarwood farming - Agarwood tree price in India is increasing month by month. To start agarwood cultivation you need to follow the basic steps including agarwood variety, planting time, temperature, soil, agarwood plants per acre, plant spacing, fertilizer, harvesting, agarwood inoculation process etc. All these steps are given below with appropriate information.
First grade agarwood falls under most expensive agarwood variety
- Aquilaria baillonii
- Aquilaria banaensis
- Aquilaria hirta
- Aquilaria khasiana - India
- Aquilaria malaccensis
- Aquilaria microcarpa
- Aquilaria parvifolia
- Aquilaria rostrate
- Aquilaria rugose
- Aquilaria subintegra
- Aquilaria urdanetensis
- Aquilaria beccariana
- Aquilaria brachyantha
- Aquilaria citrincarpa
- Aquilaria crassna
- Aquilaria cumingiana
- Aquilaria decemcostata
- Aquilaria filarial
Types of Agarwood
In India mainly two varieties of agarwood are cultivated and both are given below:
- Agarwood aquilaria malaccensis - aquilaria malaccensis is cultivated in North India due to more cold tolerance capacity in comparison to khasiana.
- Aquilaria khasiana - Aquilaria khasiana is suitable for the south region of India due to the climate and soil support.
Agarwood tree planting time
- July, August and September are the most preferable agarwood seed germination time. These months consist of good rainfall therefore it is advised to plant agarwood during these months.
- However, you can plant agarwood plants throughout the year but during July to Sep the seedlings adjust well with the soil due to the weather and rain. This tree is mostly grown in the north east jungles of India. It is a forest tree mostly cultivated in Assam.
Agarwood tree how long to grow
Agarwood growing period - Agarwood tree growing time is upto 10 years. Yes, growing agarwood tree needs at least 10 years to mature. However, it can produce decent agar resin after 8 years.
Agarwood tree temperature
- Agarwood temperature should be between 20° C to 30° C
- Humidity ranging from 75 - 85 % is good for growing agarwood in Australia, India or any other region.
- Light 56 % - 75 % needed for agarwood cultivation in India.
Agarwood water requirements
Rainfall - 2000 mm and 4000 mm per year.
Agarwood plantation soil
Soil agarwood - agarwood in sandy soil, Agarwood grows well in red, yellow podzolic and clay sandy soil, loamy soil. Agarwood usually grows well in hill areas i.e greater than 750 meters above sea level.
Agarwood plantation distance
- Agarwood plantation spacing for 700-900 trees 2m x 2 m
- Agarwood plant spacing for 500-700 trees 2.5 m x 2.5 m
How many agarwood trees per acre
Agarwood plants per acre - Approximately 700 to 900 plants per acre can be planted with a distance of 2.5 m x 2.5 m and 2 m x 2 m.
Land preparation for agarwood plantation
- Ploughing is necessary before agarwood plantation.
- After a couple of ploughing weed removal process is done along with cleaning of the field.
- Dig the pits of 45 x 45 x 45 cm and feed them with FYM then expose these pits to the sunlight to kill insects.
- 15 % cow dung and 20 gram furadan can be added to these pits to prevent insect attack.
- Don’t allow stagnant water at your agarwood farm.
- It causes plant mortality so be careful and be prepared for water logging problems.
- Select healthy agar seedlings at least 60-90 cm height. However, healthy seedlings should be preferred over height.
- Avoid older seedlings to rescue the root coiling problem.
Agarwood fertilizer and manure
- Cow dung fertilizer for plants - cow dung is one of the most important organic fertilizer that is used for soil fertility. 15 % cow dung in each pit can be added.
- Furadan fertilizer - 20 gram furadan can be used to kill insects.
- Coco peat - It has oxygenated properties and it is also useful to loosen the tight soil.
- TSP and DAP - Triple super phosphate and Di- ammonium phosphate release enough phosphate to the plant.
- Organic farming - Organic fertilizer is advisable especially in long run farming because organic fertilizer is a bit slower but at the same time they deliver the result from the root of the problem which results in better agarwood yield per tree for a long time. However, you can do the mix of chemical and organic in the beginning but you should move to the organic during the time it will give you better agarwood oil yield per tree. Moreover, agarwood is used in aromatic substances and ayurvedic medicines therefore you will not get a good price for any low quality product.
Agarwood propagation method
It can be propagated by two methods - agarwood seed and agarwood seedlings
Agarwood seeds for plantation - It is necessary to plant agarwood seeds within 25-30 days otherwise they may damage. Before sowing the seed, dry them out in the sunlight for 8-10 hours. This should be done for 1-2 days.
Agarwood cutting - Select the healthy cutting of agarwood of 60-90 cm height.
Agarwood harvest time - After 8 - 10 years the tree can be harvested. Agarwood is not permitted to harvest in many states so first you need to take permission from the forest department officer of your district. It is advised to start the agarwood cultivation after taking permission from the forestry department of your region.
Agarwood inoculation suppliers in India
Agarwood inoculation process
Artificial inoculation technique is being used in agarwood cultivation. Through this technique agar is achieved in less time in comparison to agarwood forest trees.
Fungal inoculation is process
- In this process after 8-9 years the tree is being wound or cut intentionally from a few parts. Drill machine is used to aperture the tree part.
- Then fungi is being induced in the xylem of Aquilaria.
- Medicine is transmitted through the wound to get fungal infection on the tree wound area.
- This process is necessary because after getting infected the tree releases sap in the form of resin to overcome the wound and this resin is collected because it is very precious and sells at a very high price.
- Through the wounds of the tree, the inducer gets transported to other wounded parts of the tree.
- After few months resinous wood forms
- Resin is the saliva released by the tree to recover the damaged parts
- Resin is dark in color and it is formed around the wound in the various parts of the tree including branches, roots and trunk.
- It takes between 4 to 9 months to form resinous wood in the tree.
- Agarwood's soft scent can be taken after the baking process of wood on fire.
- After resin formation it is being collected by the farmers.
- Sing agarwood - When agarwood sink in water it means it is the wound part of an agarwood tree. The Wounded part of the tree that produces resin becomes heavy and sinks in water.
Suggestion - By promoting the cultivation of forest tree government can made common man to participate in environment development. If farmers will cultivate these trees at their farm they can contribute in carbon credit and this will directly impact countries environment policy in good way. By promoting these precious tree cultivation government can also create large number of self employment and new agriculture material related startups. Uttarakhand government can surely overcome the problem of mountain migration but for that government need to permit these or some other precious tree cultivation in their states.
Conclusion - We are not saying to cut the jungles we are only saying every state government should permit their people to cultivate tree farming in their farm and government can get direct benefit of carbon credit which will produce good environment results. Today India is one of the youngest country in the world moreover, India is known for farming and 60 % population is depended on agriculture but when it comes to economy they are at the lowest side instead banking and other sector are economically more settled but very less people are doing job in these sectors. So, government need to think about agriculture sector as well, and if they will not permit and promote such expensive tree farming how farmers can compete with other sectors.
Tree planation in school essay
Tree essay in English - In today's online education era schools are encouraging their students to write tree plantation essay in English, Bengali or in other languages. By doing this schools are performing their moral responsibilities because school is an organization that can easily motivate and educate student towards environment benefits which is connected with tree safety. Students can easily write tree plantation essay 100 words, 250 words by going through this post.
School agriculture project - School's need to stood up more aggressively and make their students participate in environmental activities so that students can recognize the importance of national tree of India, tree safety, carbon credit value in India etc. Most of the schools are doing good job by assigning their students not only their regular text book homework's but also giving them environment related questions, still many schools are not performing these activities which is not good for our youth. Schools need to start giving students some work like essay on tree plantation in 100 words.
Agriculture websites for students - It is not only school's responsibilities, students also have to participate and they should search some important terms related agriculture and environment because both are corelated moreover, India is an agriculture country. There are lots of agriculture websites for students in Canada, India and brilliant farming websites in USA, good farming websites UK and good environment website for students one just need to search these websites on google or internet. Signup trending nature is also good agriculture website where you can get all the knowledge related agriculture including tree farming profit, vegetable farming, livestock farming, national trees of all countries, some unique and new farming ideas, organic farming techniques and many more.
Tree drawing - Students can participate in tree drawing competition off line and online, there are lots of tree images present on the internet. For online tree drawing competition they can download tree png, tree vector and simple images of tree. After downloading tree pictures including tree vector, tree png of various trees such as peepal tree, gulmohar tree, sandalwood tree, mahogany tree, teak tree etc. Christmas festival is near so one can eye the opportunity of participating on Christmas tree drawing competition.
Canva.com - Agriculture students in India or other students both can participate in online tree drawing competition. Now a days students are very friendly and use to Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, they makes slides and videos easily by using images in PowerPoint. Apart from power point there are many advance tools that gives good value to your presentation and canva is one of them moreover it is absolutely free of cost to use. By using canva people can create good animated videos, YouTube thumbnails, professional company logo and many more. You can start using canva software free of cost with this link joincanva.com. However, you can directly type canva on google and use canva free from there as well its totally your choice.
Agarwood farming related FAQ
What is resin?
Resin is a clingy (gummy) substance of a plant which is convertible into polymers. Resin is a mixture of organic compounds. Resin is used to make aromatic products such as incense. It is majorly used in the medicinal industry, Ayurvedic medicines and in the perfume industry.
How long agarwood trees need to produce resin?
In jungle resin used to come naturally after any damage through animals but in the cultivation of agarwood this process is performed intentionally to collect the resin and agarwood trees can produce resin after 8-10 years so this process is applied after 8 to 10 years.
What is the price of 1 agarwood plant?
1 agarwood plant price is between Rs 30 to Rs 100 accordingly.
How much yield per agarwood tree?
The average yield produced by 1 agarwood tree is 4 kg.
Agarwood price per kg Philippines?
Agarwood 1 kg price in the Philippines is nearly P160,000 per kg.
Agarwood price per kg in USA?
Agarwood price per kg in USA is nearly US $10,000
Agarwood price per kg in India?
1 kg agarwood price in India is between Rs 2 lakh to 5 lakh. This is the Agarwood price per kg 2022 in India and agar price will increase more with the time.
Related tree farming for profit
- Sandalwood farming profit and permission
- Mahogany tree price
- One sandalwood weight after 15 years
- Bamboo farming profit
- Red sandalwood weight after 10 years
- Malabar neem wood price per ton 2021
- African mahogany tree price
Join our telegram group for regular updates