Apple Tree farming profit - Apple fruit belongs to the “Rosaceae Family” its genus is malus and the binomial name of apple is ‘Malus Domestica’. It is an edible fruit produced by an apple tree. Apple is the most popular fruit and is most widely cultivated worldwide in the genus family. Apple tree originated in Central Asia and has been grown for thousands of years in Asian countries and in European countries. Later it was brought to North America by European colonists.
- 1 Apple Tree Information
- 2 Apple tree description
- 3 Commercial Apple growing
- 4 Apple fruit uses
- 5 How to start apple farming
- 6 Propagation apple tree
- 7 Apple cross pollination and planting method
- 8 Training and pruning apple trees
- 9 Apple tree pest and disease
- 10 Apple fruit harvesting
- 11 Why is Apple so popular?
- 12 Apple fruit health benefits
- 13 Apple farming project report
- 14 Apple tree farming in Canada
- 15 Apple farming profit in Canada
- 16 FAQ Apple Tree Farming
Apple Tree Information
Apple has more than 7500 known cultivars. Generally, Apple cultivars are propagated by clonal grafting method onto rootstocks. It seems that those apple trees that are grown without rootstock tend to be large and produce fruit in a much slower proportion after planting. Rootstocks are used to control the size and growth of the tree; it is beneficial for easy harvesting. Apple trees and fruits can suffer from various fungal bacteria and pest attacks that can be controlled through organic and non-organic ways. To know more about organic techniques and “How To Make Organic Spray” please click the link and the organic farming information with new and traditional techniques page will open in front of you.
Apple tree is the oldest and the most important temperature fruit that is grown commercially worldwide. However, it comes on the fourth number while growing commercial fruits, after orange, banana and grapes apple cultivation is done. Apple farming in India mostly takes place in Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Hills of Uttar Pradesh, Nagaland, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya. These States are well known for commercial apple tree planting and you can find most commercial apple tree suppliers in these regions as well.
Apple tree description
Apple tree height and width
- Apple height in metres - Generally, the height of apple tree are between 2 to 4.5 meter or 6 to 15 ft tall in apple cultivation.
- Apple tree width - Basically width of apple tree is 9 meters or 30 feet in the wild.
- Apple tree leaves - Apple tree leaf color is dark green with serrated margins moreover the leaves are slightly downy undersides and have sharp top.
- Apple tree flower color - Apple flower is 3 to 4 cm (1 to 1.5 inches) and it is white with a pink tinge. Apple tree has five-petaled with an inflorescence meaning group of clusters of flowers arranged on a stem of the main branch. The inflorescence has a central flower that is called in bloom; it opens first and can develop a large fruit.
- Apple fruit dimension - Apple fruit matures late summer or autumn, and are in various shapes and sizes. In commercial apple farming apples are large and they contain a size between 7 to 8.5 cm. Some apples are below 5.5 CM and are basically used for making apple juice.
- Apple fruit color code - Ripe apple color is generally red, yellow, green, pink or russet colored. Sometimes skin may seem rough and brown or it looks partially russet apple.
Commercial Apple growing
In commercial apple farming commercial growers aim to produce an apple about 7 to 8.5 cm whether they are apple growers of America, Apple growers in Washington, Apple growers Australia or Apple growers in Kashmir all these commercial growers are motivated for growing big size apple fruits so that they can earn good money. Apple farming in Japan is popular because Japanese apple consumers consume a large size of apples. Hence, it also creates opportunities for apple business in Japan. Apple juice has a fresh market worldwide so one can start commercial Apple juice production.
Commercial varieties of Apple
Commercial apple varieties are given
Commercial apple fruit variety
M7, M9, M26, MM11, MM106
Florena, Macfree, Shireen, Freedom, Liberty Nova Mac, Firdous, Coop 12, Coop 13 (Red free), Jona free, Sir Prize, Nova easy grow, Prima
Winter banana, Granny Smith, Tydemans early, Golden spur, Red gold, Golden delicious, MCintosh, Starkspur golden, Lord lambourne,
Anna, Topical beauty, Michal, Tamma, Vered, Neomi, Shlomit, Parlins beauty.
Hybrid apple varieties
Lal Ambari - Red delicious x Ambri
Ambred - Red delicious x Ambri
Sunehri - Ambri x Golden delicious
Chaubattia Anupam - Early shanburry x Red delicious
Ambrich - Richared x Ambri
Ambroyal - Starking delicious x Ambri
Apple fruit uses
Apple is a sweet edible fruit and is mostly consumed as a fresh fruit however they are also used in the following industries.
- Jelly industries
- Juice industry
- Candy industry
- Fruit chaat industry
How to start apple farming
To start apple farming you need to practice various things but before practicing apple farming you need to gain some knowledge that is necessary for starting apple farming. We have shared almost all the information about apple farming to help you to start cultivation of apple after getting the knowledge you can also start commercial apple farming in USA, hybrid apple farming in Brunswick, New Zealand, Nigeria, India or wherever you live.
Climate required for Apple cultivation
Altitudes of 1500 m to 2700 m above sea level in the Himalayan range are preferable conditions for apple farming or best climate for apple trees. optimum temperature for apple storage
Ideal temperature for apple trees
Best temperature for apple trees - 21 degree Celsius to 24 degree celsius is ideal temperature for growing apples. It is seen that temperatures ranging from 21 to 24° C are certainly the best temperature for apples to grow.
Water requirements for apple tree
- 115 cm/annum is required irrigation for apple farming
- Apple farming irrigation can be scheduled in 14 to 20 irrigation cycles.
- Summer irrigation schedule - Provide water in 6 to 10 days of interval
- Winter irrigation schedule - 3 to 4 weeks interval
- Irrigation after fruit set - Minimum 8 irrigations are required after fruit set in the month of April to August.
Rainfall required for apple trees
For best apple yield per tree the tree needs 100 cm to 125 cm annual rainfall.
Too much or heavy rainfall during the fruit maturity period results in poor fruit quality with fungal spots on the fruit surface along with improper fruit color.
Soil requirement for apple trees
Soil required for apple trees - First of all, soil should not have water logging issues and contains a proper drainage system. During the search of soil requirements for growing apples you should select loamy soil because it contains rich organic properties that are required for apple trees.
Soil pH for apple trees
The PH range from 5.5 to 6.5 is the optimum soil pH level for apple trees.
Propagation apple tree
One can use budding and tongue grafting method for propagating apple trees.It is recommended to purchase planting material from registered nurseries
Best time for planting apple trees
January and February are ideal months for planting apple trees.
Apple tree planting distance
Apple Tree spacing per acre
Apple tree plantation in India - 250 plants per acre at 4 m x 4 m distance
How many apple trees per hectare
Apple trees plantation per hectare is classified in 4 parts according to the spacing low medium and high density
- Low density - Less than 300 apple plants per hectare is considered
- Medium density - 300 to 500 apple plants in 1 hectare
- High density - 500 plants to 1300 apple trees per hectare
- Ultra high density - Above 1300
How many apple trees per acre
- Low density - 100 - 120 apple trees in 1 acre
- Medium density - 150 - 200 apple trees per acre
- High density - 500 - 600 apple plants per acre
Note - 500 - 600 Dwarf apple trees per acre can be planted. However, 200 to 250 normal size apple trees are considered per acre.
Apple cross pollination and planting method
Apple tree pollination - In apple farming apple tree pollinators are required between main species. Apple pollinators are required for proper fruit setting. If you have selected royal delicious apple variety for your apple orchard or apple farm. Then you should select golden delicious and red delicious as apple pollinators, it is recommended by the horticulture department. To help you some of the apple pollinators are given below you can choose them according to your region and climate conditions.
Apple tree pollinator list (apple variety cross)
Baldwin, king, Gravenstein, Mustu, Jonagold and Winesap are some of the cross pollinators for apple cross hatching process.
Apple tree land preparation
Couple of ploughing and harrowing is good for apple land depression, removing tiny stones and unnecessary weeds before apple plantation is necessary. After preparing the land perform the following exercise before apple planting.
- Pit size - Dig the pit size of 1m x 1m x 1m during october to november
- FYM - Add 30 kg to 40 kg farm yard manure in each pit
- Single super phosphate - Add 500 grams
- Malathion dust - Add 50 grams
You should mix all of them properly before planting the apple plants.
Weed management in apple orchards
Weed control in apple orchards - Intercultural operations and weed control in apple farming is necessary.
Weed killer apple trees - Glyphosate @800 ml/ha or Gramoxone/Paraquat (0.5%)
Apple Orchard fertilizer
Apple grow fertilizer - It is recommended to make a apple fertilizer schedule for your apple fruit orchard, in order to help you we have given a briefing of fertilizer
- FYM - Farm yard manure 10 kg per year along with other fertilizers.
- NPK Ratio - 70 : 35 : 70 grams per year
- After 10 years - After 10 years NPK dose should be resolute at 700 : 350 : 700 grams per year.
- NPK off year - Standard fertilizer dose during off year is 500 grams, 250 grams and 400 grams.
- Benefits - The above given fertilizers in a proper ratio is helpful to reduce the deficiency of Boron, zinc, Manganese and Calcium.
Training and pruning apple trees
For proper growth, good health and excellent commercial apple fruit, regular training and pruning practices are necessary. One should perform training practice of apple fruit according to the strength, habit and growth of the rootstock.
Regular pruning and cutting off the unnecessary grown branches improves the fruit size and quality. It is a science which is not that difficult. Let's understand it with an example.
If there are 10 people in a house and that house has a capacity of producing 10 chapatis which is good enough (1 per person) after eating 10 chapatis these 10 people can work hard and produce a good result.
But think when there are more than 10 people or there are 25 people in the same house and the house has the capacity of producing only 10 chapatis then what will happen! Answer is easy: House will distribute the 10 chapatis between 25 people which will not fill the stomach of any of them resulting in low energy and low quality work.
If you will keep up all the growing branches and fruits then the tree have to distribute the food to all the parts of the branches which will lead in smaller fruits and lower quality on the other end if you will keep pruning your apple tree then the tree will distribute the food in selective branches meaning every branch and fruit will have a sufficient food which will result in healthy apple yield. However, the size may also depend on the variety of apple.
Mulching apple trees - You can use oak, leaves dry grass
Apple tree pest and disease
Apple tree pests
- San jose scale
- Blossom thrips
- Wooly apple aphid
- White scale
Apple tree pest management -
One should perform suitable intercultural practices like planting of resistant rootstocks.
Spray - chlorpyrifos, carbaryl, fenitrothion
Apple tree disease
Common disease found in apple farming are given below
- Apple scab
- Collar rot
- Crown gall
- Sclerotius blight
- Die back disease
Apple tree disease treatment
- You should apply some fungicides including
For good farming practices for apple orchards you should select disease resistant apple varieties or disease resistance apple trees.
Apple fruit harvesting
Harvesting of apples - Semi dwarf apple tree and dwarf apple tree (6 to 20 ft) starts bearing fruit from the third year however full size apple tree (30 ft) takes more time and starts bearing fruits after 8 years. From the 8th to 17th year the productivity of apples keeps increasing. According to the climate conditions apple trees can live up to 40 years. It is better to harvest apple fruits before they get mature or fully ripe.
Why is Apple so popular?
Apple is majorly known for its health benefits and consumption of apple on a regular basis is always recommended by all the doctors. Apple fruit has various health benefits including blood purification, skin glow, good food digestion, reducing heart Attack chances, proper brain function and it has most components of Vitamin minerals, iron, zinc etc. Apple fruit also provides various business opportunities in the juice, candy, slices, jelly sector etc. Moreover, a famous dialogue is said by an intelligent man that “An apple in a day keeps the doctor away” and the good thing is that doctors do not mind about this dialogue instead they also follow the same.
Apple fruit popularity - While talking about Apple fruit popularity in school, students are asked to write my favourite apple fruit essay, essay on my favourite fruit apple or apple fruit essay in english teachers are also teaching their students about the importance of fruits and during faq session teachers are asking what are the importance of Apple fruit And also answering the same question to better guide their students.
What is rootstock?
rootstock is referred to as rhizome or underground stem. Rootstock is the underground part of a plant from which above-ground growth can be produced. Mainly it is a stem with a well-developed root system.
Apple yield per hectare
Jammu Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh are producing 11 to 13 tonnes of apple per hectare.
Apple fruit health benefits
- Apple is good for brain function.
- Apple helps to regulate brain signals properly.
- Good for type 2 diabetes patients.
- Daily consumption of Apple improves the digestive system.
- It is good for skin health.
- Apple purifiers blood.
- Helpful to maintain healthy immune system.
- Apple helps to reduce high cholesterol.
- Apple fruit helps to maintain blood pressure.
- It contains good fiber that is helpful for digestion process.
- Eating apple contributes in healthy weight loss.
Apple farming project report
apple orchard cost per acre
- 1 apple plant cost Rs 10 to Rs 100 accordingly
- 250 plants per acre = Rs 10 x 250 plants
- Planting material cost - Rs 2500
- Manure and fertilizer cost - Rs 7000
- Insecticides and pesticides cost - Rs 3500
- Sub total - Rs 13000
- Irrigation cost - Rs 25000
- Drip installation cost - Rs 50,000
- Sub total - Rs 75000
- Commercial apple fruit storage device & pump house - Rs 30000
- Labour room - Rs 5000
- Agricultural equipments - Rs 10000
- Sub total - 45000
Land Development and labor cost
- Land preparation cost - Rs 5000
- Soil levelling and digging - Rs 3000
- Fencing - Rs 20000
- Miscellaneous cost - Rs 5000
- Sub Total - Rs 33000
Total - 166000 (for 1st year)
The Standard Apple Tree starts bearing fruit after 8 years. Let's calculate Apple Orchard cost for 8 years. We have calculated 1st year cost now let's calculate total 8 year cost
To figure out 8 year cost first we need to deduct the cost of one time installation products from 1st year
7 years cost = 1st year cost (Rs 166000) - Planting material cost - drip installation cost - agriculture equipment cost - storage and pump cost - fencing cost = Rs 53500
Total 8 year cost = Rs 53500 x 7 years = Rs 374500
Total 8 year cost = Rs 166000 (1st year cost) + Rs 374500 (7 years cost)
Total cost for 8 years = Rs 540500
Apple farming profit per acre
3 to 6 tonnes per acre
1 ton = 1000 kg
If 5 tonne apple produce
5 tonnes = 5,000 kg
Apple price per kg varies Rs 70/kg - 320/kg and more (as per variety)
Lets take minimum selling price
Rs 70 x 5000 kg apples = 350000
Net profit = Apple orchard cost per acre - Apple orchard profit per acre
Net profit = Rs 540,000 - Rs 350000
Loss = Rs 190,000
However, initially you may not generate income from apple orchard but don't worry this is just for 1 year and from the 9th year you will gain profit.
Note - Standard apple trees start bearing fruit after 8 years, till the 8th year you might be in bit loss but after 8 year you will definitely start earning profit because apple trees also increase bearing fruit after 3 years of fruiting.
Note - It is Recommended to start mixed cropping with apple farming due to eight year long wait for results. Instead, you should always practice mixed cropping in every farming that takes more than 3 to 5 years so that you can overcome the financial burden. It is advised that with mixed cropping you should perform multi layer farming. So that you can cultivate 3 to 4 crops in the same land at same time. If you want to know more about multilayer farming profit then please click the given link and multilayer farming information will open in front of you.
Apple tree farming in Canada
McIntosh, McIntosh red or colloquially the mac is an apple cultivar and it is the national apple of Canada. This fruit contains red and green skin and a tart flavor. McIntosh fruit ripens late September and has white flash. During the 20th century McIntosh was the most popular fruit cultivar in Eastern Canada and New England. It was considered an all purpose apple because it is suitable for cooking and it was also suitable for eating raw. Jef Raskin named the Macintosh computer line on his favorite fruit name i.e "McIntosh Apple".
What type of apples are grown in Canada?
- Northern spy
- golden delicious
Apart from these apple orchards small amounts of many more apple cultivars are grown in Canada. McIntosh Spartan Ambrosia originated in Canada
Apple farming profit in Canada
Apple fruit price in Canada $ 3 per kg, $ 4.25 per kg and more as per variety
- If 250 trees are planted in 1 acre
- 3 to 6 tonnes per acre can be produced
- 1 ton = 1000 kg
- If 3 tonne apple produce
- 3 tonnes = 3,000 kg
- Lets take the price $ 3 for one kg apple
- $ 3 x 3000 kg apples = $ 9000 (Rs 6,67,722 Inr)
- Net Profit = Apple farming profit - Apple farming cost (8 years)
- Net Profit = $ 9000 - $8000
- Net Profit = $ 100
Note - Net profit will increase because $ 8000 is total 8 years cost.
FAQ Apple Tree Farming
In which tradition does the apple have mythological and religious values?
Apples have mythological and religious values in many cultures including Norse, Greek and European Christian tradition.
What is the best time to plant fruit trees in UK?
One should plant fruit plants in UK between the months of December to March. UK fruit farmers used to apply fruit plantation during these months.
How many apple trees in orchard can be planted?
Planting apple trees in an orchard depends on the size of the orchard. In one acre orchard one can plant between 160 - 200 apple plants.