Today, we will share valuable information about one of the most expensive tree called mahogany tree. We will help you to find out the selling price of mahogany tree in India we will also help you to make your investment plan by sharing mahogany tree farming project report including mahogany tree cultivation in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka or in the entire India. This post will also guide you about mahogany tree plantation per acre, temperature, water and soil requirements.
- Mahogany Tree E-book available
- You can buy mahogany tree colorful E - book (42 pages) through razor pay @ Rs 100
- Mobile view - You can find E book end of the post (bottom)
- Desktop view - You can find E book at right sidebar
- Razor pay - No need to create account just click on it and pay
- Join our Telegram group for regular updates
Mahogany tree information
Mahogany is the national tree of Dominican Republic and Belize. Mahogany tree grows straight and has less branches it has long stem. Mahogany is a reddish brown timber of three tropical hardwood species of the genuis Swietenia. Mahogany belongs to Meliaceae family.
How many species of mahogany are there
The three species of mahogany tree are
- Honduran mahogany – The leaves of this mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) are big in size. It is found in Mexico to Brazil (Southern Amazonia). This species falls in the category of CITES, It means it is an endangered species and CITES stands for Conventional of International Trade in Endangered Species.
- West Indian or Cuban Mahogany – This species (Swietenia mahogani) is native to South Florida and Caribbean.
- Swietenia humilis – This is a small type of mahogany tree these are also limited found in dry forest of Central America. According to some botanists S. humilis is a mere variant of S. macrophylla
- Only these three Swietenia species are classified as genuine mahogany. Whereas other species like Meliaceae species are classified as true mahogany. Meliaceae species are well known for their timber uses and these trees are also cultivated for precious timbers. In below section some of the varieties of true mahogany are mentioned.
Mahogany tree varieties
True mahogany varieties
- African genera khaya (African Mahogany)
- Entandrophragma (Sapele Mahogany)
- New Zealand mahogany or Kohekohe (Dysoxylum spectabile)
- Indonesian mahogany
- Toona sureni
- Indian mahogany
- Toona ciliate
- Pink mahogany or Bosse
- Chittagong (Indian mahogany)
- Chukrasia velutina
- Crab wood Carapa guianensis
Mahogany tree farming in India
Mahogany tree cultivation in India – While looking for mahogany tree farming profit you should collect important information of mahogany tree. Mahogany tree price in India is increasing day by day infect not only in India mahogany tree price in Australia, Canada, Africa and Kenya is also increasing day by day. In comparison of other countries India need to shift the gears because other countries has already started this precious cultivation seriously on the other hand lots of people in India still don't know about mahogany tree you can spread this post if you want to share the knowledge with your friends and colleagues.
Mahogany Tree Price
- Price of 1 mahogany tree - One thing you need to know about mahogany tree is that the price of mahogany tree depends on the ghan feet of the mahogany wood. Generally, mahogany trees are not measured by the weight these trees are light weighted but strong in quality
- Price of 1 mahogany plant is Rs 15 - Rs 30 (simple plant), Rs 50, Rs 100 (best quality)
- Price of 1 mahogany tree varies between Rs 10 k, 15 k, 30 k accordingly
- Mahogany tree selling price in India - Mahogany tree current price in India varies between Rs 10,000 to 30,000 actually mahogany price per tree depends on ghan feet of the tree, ghan feet is a calculation of the wood in which length, breadth, radius, circle of the tree is calculated you can calculate it through ghan calculator or cubic calculator.
How long does mahogany tree take to grow
Mahogany tree needs 25 to 30 years to grow mature however, there are different verities of mahogany tree that can grow earlier than 20 years. African mahogany is the tree that can be harvested after 10 to 15 years.
Mahogany tree price after 10 years
Mahogany tree selling price after 10 years - As per current mahogany tree price we can say mahogany tree price after 10 years will boom and it may be between Rs 15,000 to Rs 20,000 depending on the ghan feet of the tree.
Mahogany tree price after 15 years
Mahogany tree selling price after 15 years - While talking about mahogany tree price in Karnataka, mahogany price in Kerala or mahogany price in Bangalore one thing is common that all these regions are located in South India and we must appreciate these people for their awareness because mahogany tree price after 15 years will be at the highest price of mahogany tree it might be above Rs 30,000 (depending on ghan feet) and between Rs 20,000 to 35,000. Moreover, mahogany tree price after 20 years might be at peak and it may be between Rs 35,000 to 50,000.
The Government may ban or may bring some guidelines for mahogany tree cultivation due to huge benefits of mahogany tree so government will also try to in cash the most revenue therefore this is the right time to start mahogany tree cultivation.
Mahogany tree selling price in India
Mahogany tree price in India - If today you are going to sell mahogany tree you may get around Rs 10,000 for a 50 to 60 feet tall mahogany tree however, the price depends on ghan feet of the tree and if a tree will be 60 feet taller then it must contain a good cubic feet.
Selling price of mahogany tree in India - If you are starting mahogany tree cultivation in 2021 then after 10 years you can easily sell the tree at the price of Rs 15,000 to Rs 20,000 again depending on ghan meter of the tree. Moreover, mahogany tree price after 20 years might be around Rs 50,000 per tree.
Mahogany plantation project report
To get mahogany farming profit per acre in India first you need to know mahogany plant price that is around Rs 100 then you should calculate that how much mahogany plants you can plant in 1 acre land. You can plant nearly 800 to 1000 plants with good spacing. To get complete analysis of mahogany tree profit per acre please click on the link and you will be diverted to mahogany tree farming project report post where you will get mahogany farming cost and income report as well as some tips related how to start mahogany farming in India.
Mahogany tree profit in India
As we can see farmers are struggling from long time because they are not changing their cultivation style and are doing the same type of cultivation. Nature of law says that one should bring change according to the time otherwise they may collapse one day and the same thing is happening with our farmers.
- Mahogany tree farming - Government is promoting only regular crops or some profitable crops they are not educating farmers about extremely profit making crops or trees like mahogany tree or sandalwood tree. Government should run a campaign in which they should educate farmers about rich tree and expensive crops farmer need to be educated about mahogany tree benefits
- Farming subsidy schemes - There should be a proper channel through which farmers can get easy subsidy (not loan) here we are not talking about loan we are talking about subsidy. Because loan is breaking farmers back bone and government need to understand that loans are not working in favour of farmers and if they will not think freely then how they will try to do experiments by planting a plant like mahogany or some other expensive crop.
Meranti, Balau or Lauan are also sold as Philippine mahogany. These are member of genus Shorea and belongs to Dipterocarpaceae.
In the Philippines according to environmentalist mahogany has negative impact on the Philippines environment and wildlife causing soil acidification and not participating in net benefit to wildlife. According to environmentalist this is the reason that is effecting mahogany planting badly.
Mahogany tree uses
Mahogany wood uses - Mahogany is an important lumber appreciated for its beauty, quality, colour and durability. Mahogany timber is used to make furniture, boats, ship parts, musical instruments, gun butt, expensive furniture’s like 5 star hotel furniture, bar table and chairs, coffee shop furniture’s etc.
Mahogany resists wood rot hence preferable for boat constructions and out door decking. Mahogany is a tone wood and widely used in making musical instruments particularly the backs, sides and necks of acoustic guitars, electric guitar bodies. This timber wood is also use for making drum shells due to the capability of producing deep warm tones compare to other woods such as sprush, alder, ash or maple. In the 1930 the mahogany wood was used by Gibson to make banjo necks of guitars. The RB, TB and PB style 3s and RB, TB, PB style 75s easily fitted with mahogany necks.
- Guitars featuring mahogany in their construction are
- Martin Guitars such as D-18
- Taylor Guitars
- Gibson Guitars such as Less paul, SG, J45
- Hagstrom Guitars
Largest importer of mahogany
United States, Britain are the largest Mahogany wood importers. US holds first position as mahogany importer.
Mahogany export - Peru is the largest exporter of mahogany tree. Peru has surpassed Brazil in mahogany timber supply. Brazil banned mahogany export in 2001.
How to start mahogany tree cultivation in India - FAQ
To start mahogany tree farming you need to know the following steps
How many mahogany trees per acre?
Mahogany tree plantation per acre - While discussing how many mahogany plants can be planted in 1 acre I would say one can plant around 700 to 1000 mahogany plants in one acre land. However, you can increase the plants to 1500 as well it depends on the spacing of the plants.
Mahogany tree plantation distance with some suggested spacing: 6 by 6 = 800 to 1000 plants, 8 by 8 = 700 to 800 plants, 10 by 10 = 500 to 600 plants
Where does the mahogany tree grow?
Mahogany tree is found in Philippines, Africa, USA, New Zeeland, Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Britain, South Asia including India etc. In India mahogany tree can be grown in most of the regions including Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Kerala, Bangalore and rest South India, Assam etc. Mahogany cant grow in extreme cold or in snow fall region apart from that the plant can tolerate heavy winds, humidity, rainfall or we can say mahogany can tolerate climate change.
Temperature required for mahogany tree
Mahogany tree can grow in any temperature except snowfall.
Soil requirement for mahogany cultivation
It prefers loamy soil that has good drainage. Don't allow standing water at your mahogany farm. However, mahogany tree is soil friendly and can be grown almost in any soil.
Mahogany tree water requirements
During mahogany cultivation you should provide water once in a week and twice in a week in summers. This schedule is for initial days later you can skip watering and can provide water once in a month as well. This is the specialty of the tree that it does not demand for much water moreover, it does not need any water during rainy season.
What is carbon credits in agriculture?
- Carbon credit is a type of certificate introduced to decrease the carbon emissions created by any country, state, city, green house or company.
- The basic rule of carbon credit is; if a company has created some carbon emission then as per the rules that particular company have to invest in carbon credit to maintain the balance.
- 1 carbon credit = 1 ton carbon dioxide
- 1 carbon credit means we have prevented 1 ton carbon dioxide or similar gases to get dissolved in environment.
African mahogany tree price
African mahogany has huge demand and the price of African mahogany tree is around Rs 15,000 - 20,000 this is the price of a 10 year old mahogany tree. Price depends on the ghan feet of the tree moreover, mahogany tree is not sold by its weight. The weight of the tree is lesser in comparison of other trees it has high quality timber the mahogany wood is also known as tone wood.
Conclusion - Hope you understands the value of tree and its environmental effects moreover, if a tree can produce good income with healthy environment then half of the work is done.
- You should also apply for carbon credit to get more benefits while planting trees on a large scale.
- While planting any crop for more than 10 to 15 years you should think about your kids and calculate the upcoming profit after 10 to 15 years so that they can have a good life ahead.
- You should start investing in such plants that can generate good income and by doing this you can also contribute towards the precious environment which will give you satisfaction from inside.
Back to top
Join our telegram group for regular updates